Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 01:59 AM

Default JJ

Party tournament. Blinds are 2000/4000, my stack is roughly 100K, villians stack is roughly 75K.
Villian open raises mid position to 15K, Folded to me in late position. I have JJ-what now?

I think this is delicate hand to play. It could go awesomely right and also awesomely wrong. I would like to hear opinions on how best to play this hand. (there are no reads on villian this is his first hand at this table). ty.
ruan99
Old 10-23-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Re: JJ

well, if you have no reads i would probably lean towards a push preflop, but flat calling with the plan of getting it in on any nonA flop is not bad either.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:07 AM

is folding an option?
Old 10-23-2005, 02:14 AM

what range do you put an MP opener on that folding would be correct?
Old 10-23-2005, 02:28 AM

The raise is pretty big. I would call 10K and decide on flop what to do. I just dont want to pay 15K and get trapped on a 9 high flop. I'm just wondering if any good players consider folding. I considered it greatly. But im not that good.lol
ruan99
Old 10-23-2005, 02:31 AM

Barring some spectacular read, you can't fold this.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:35 AM

if it were UTG i think you could consider folding (i still wouldn't, but i dont think it would be all that bad)

vs a range of AJs+,TT+,AQo+ you're behind, so vs a tight opponent UTG, a fold wouldn't be unreasonable.

But middle position raise could mean a lot more, so this is a push/call, whichever you think gets more money in by a worse hand.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:44 AM

I almost never coin flip if I dont have to. My stack being this size means that I dont have to, so pushing in preflop is not an option for me. Maybe that is something I need to fix. So nobody likes to fold here? Man, I must be tight or just plain scared. JJ is good hand to me but not great. Lets say you called and its a Q high flop. He bets 20K. what now?
Old 10-23-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost never coin flip if I dont have to. My stack being this size means that I dont have to, so pushing in preflop is not an option for me

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a thread earlier this week w/ the best advice you've gotten for MTT's... one of the quotes was

"If you always get your money in as a 55% favorite, you'll be the best tournament player in the world"

I think that would be most helpful to you. You can't be afraid of getting into a coinflip, especially when you'd be the one pushing, because then it's not a coinflip, you have fold equity to.

-

As for the Q high flop, i'd probably raise/push. Depends on the stack sizes. And i'm too lazy to hit the back button and reread them.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost never coin flip if I dont have to. My stack being this size means that I dont have to, so pushing in preflop is not an option for me. Maybe that is something I need to fix. So nobody likes to fold here? Man, I must be tight or just plain scared. JJ is good hand to me but not great. Lets say you called and its a Q high flop. He bets 20K. what now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but this is really bad.

1st off, how do you know you're flipping? he openraised from MP, he could have any PP, and you're in good shape vs. most of them. also, he could easily have a hand like AJ, or a lower ace, which is far from a flip.

sure he'll fold some of the weaker hands in there, but thats not bad either. the pot is big, and taking it down uncontested would be good vs. hands like KQ that will probably fold.

plus, there is a decent chance that he's on a steal, so he'll probably fold those, which you usually won't want with JJ, but if you're goign to get allin on a Q or K high flop, which you probably should, then its not that bad for him to fold garbage like Kx or Qx.