Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 08:26 AM

Default Live 4-8 hand: AJ top 2

Reads:
Mp3- Loose preflop, very poor player, calling station and honest.
Button- Very Loose preflop, post flop play is not terrible but very passive and leaning towards being a calling station. Fairly honest about bets, but he will sometimes throw in a bluff in position if no one has shown any interest in the pot. I've played many hours with him.

The hand:

Mp3 limps
I have AdJh in Mp2 and raise.
Hijack CCs
Button CCs, blinds fold, and Mp3 calls.
4 way action.
Pot: 9.5 SB

Flop: As2s7c
Mp3 bets, I raise, Hijack folds, button calls 2 cold, and Mp3 calls another bet.
At this point I'm putting Mp3 on a weak ace. I'm pretty sure I've got him drawing very slim.
The button at this point seems to have a flush draw. My reasoning for this is because usually when he has a hand like bottom or middle pair, he will agonize for a second about calling. He seems to stop and think, "Do I have the best hand?" In this case he couldn't wait to get his chips in the pot.

Pot: 7.5 BB
Turn: Jc
Mp3 checks, I bet, Button calls again quickly, and Mp3 calls.
I knew I was ahead so this turn card didn't really help me much except that I knew that Mp3 was drawing dead now. The button's quick call here reinforced my idea that he had a flush draw.

Pot: 10.5 BB

River: 5s
Mp3 checks, I bet...Even though I put the button on a flush draw I decided to bet this card. I could have been wrong about my read, and they might call me with worse hands than my top 2 pair...Button raises, Mp3 folds, and I fold.

Getting 13.5-1 was this a correct fold? Should I have check called the river instead?

Comments appreciated.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Live 4-8 hand: AJ top 2

Edit: Based on your read, I think I actually bet out here as well. I like how you played it.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:59 PM

Names? I don't know how you spell his name, but was BT Saumi?

I like getting all the details you presented and your thought process throughout the hand. It's hard to give an objective response to how the hand was played, however, since you lead us through every street, so that colors our perceptions.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the way you asked your specific question, but if you want objective feedback on the whole hand you can give just your raw observations in the OP...("button can't call quickly enough" etc.)

Even on the river, if you conclude the OP with "I bet, intending to fold to a raise..." then our analysis is not colored by the knowledge that he does raise and MP3 folds.

Then all the extra information and your thought process throughout the hand can go in a later reply.

If button is who I think then your laydown is fine. River play is soooo limp in that game that you are only getting raised by a set or better 99% of the time.

A couple of options for the flop and turn:

1) Can you get any read from your left before raising the flop? You might consider just calling the first time around on the flop. If button is ready to put his chips in he may raise his flush draw. There are a couple players there who love to do that on their flush draw. You can 3-bet and he may cap, trapping MP3.

2) Alternatively you can wait and pop it on a safe turn card. This exposes you to getting surprised by a set, but there is so much Ace-rag played that will pay you off, and you can charge the flush draw more.

Option for the river:

If you can get any kind of Tell that BT is going to bet this river then check-calling is likely to win you 2 bets when ahead anyway since MP3 certainly calls for 1 if he has the Ace you put him on.

For your bet to have value you have to find a hand BT will fold or flat call, giving MP3 the chance to call.

For your fold to be -EV you have to find a hand BT would raise that you beat 7% of the time. That would be any smaller 2-pair. Will he put you on AK and raise you with 2 pair on a flushy river 7% of the time?

A5 would be the only hand I can see that would meet the criteria, which would seem unlikely.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:19 PM

The button was Greg. The bald guy who's pregnant wife always watches him play.

I like your idea of looking for tells to see if he is going to bet the river so I can suck Mp3 in for an extra bet. I think he had 8 chips in front of him, but I wasn't sure if he was going to put them in if I checked, he might have just been going for the quick call. If I could be fairly sure he would bet I think you are right and check calling is correct. I would be getting 12.5-1, and if I show weakness on the river he is more likely to bet weaker hands, easily 1 in 12 times. What if the river was an 8 of spades instead of a 5, making no possible straight on board? (I know 10 9, but obviously no one has 10 9)

BTW his name is spelled Som.