Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 12:28 AM

Default AA on a shady flop??

Live home game, NL holdem, .25/.5 blinds, deep stacks with me being the big stack at around 120bb.

I'm on the button with AsAh an ultra aggressive player in the CO raises to 5bb (game standard). I call. SB is a very loose but very fishy player. BB is a solid player and one I dont ussually want to mess around with.

Flop ($10) comes 5s Js 4d

SB donk bets $3, BB makes it 17 (about half his stack), CO folds, I think about it then push allin SB folds BB calls.

After the hand we were talking it and the consenus was reached as that I should of folded on the flop. Rational was that when a solid player comits half his stack on that kind of flop I must be way behind, based on probable hand ranges. What do yall think about it?
Old 10-22-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Re: AA on a shady flop??

if he has JJ, 55, or 44, I pay him off. He could just as easily have AJ, and bet hard on the flop with that.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:35 AM

if those are the only three hands you put him on then you have to fold, since you lose 3/4 of the time.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if those are the only three hands you put him on then you have to fold, since you lose 3/4 of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Those aren't the only hands I put him on...those are the only hands I put him on that have AA beat.

My point is, there aren't many hands that beat AA that would have called the raise preflop. If he has one of those few hands, so be it, I lose money and call him. I'm not folding the aces in that situation.

To further the reasoning, the pot was only $10.50 , and he bet $15. That screams overbet to me, and I'd be more likely to call.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:41 AM

he is completing the action with his call pf so his hand range is significantly larger since there was a lot of money in the pot preflop.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he is completing the action with his call pf so his hand range is significantly larger since there was a lot of money in the pot preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok fair enough. So apart from him possibly making a set, another hand that beats AA is 4/5. Again, if he's calling with 4/5 and it hits, I pay him off with a call.

I'm defending your call, and it sounds like you don't like that lol. What gives :P ;o
Old 10-22-2005, 12:51 AM

Re-raise PF. Makes the hand easier to play.

And when are 'deep stacks' 120BB? Was the buy in $25?
Old 10-22-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Re-raise PF. Makes the hand easier to play.

And when are 'deep stacks' 120BB? Was the buy in $25?

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely. ur on the button and CO raises 5 bb with 2 possible limpers? i'd close out the competition...but not by much. let the low pockets fold out then concentrate on that ultra aggro.

by "but not by much" i'd say in this type of home game reraise min...or 2x min if u think the low pockets will come in.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:10 AM

min raise is no good here. The table knows I would never min raise so it would send up warning flags.

The smooth call was intended to draw out a raise from the SB and to induce a nother bet into my the aggresive guy on the flop.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
min raise is no good here. The table knows I would never min raise so it would send up warning flags.

The smooth call was intended to draw out a raise from the SB and to induce a nother bet into my the aggresive guy on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i definetly have ur way of thinking at the table at the time. but if you let people in like that you're bound to be looking up sets. over a large sample of hands u'll end up in the green, but being results oriented in this post, ur in the red. definetly close out the action next time even if u tear it down pre. it's worth it.