Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Under what circumstances do you flat call a raise with QQ preflop?

Being an easily excitable push monkey, I don’t think I have ever employed this line outside of a shorthanded situation. My thinking is that in the typical MTT stacks are shallow and donks are prevalent thus one must get all the money in the center ASAP. I don’t worry about AA/KK.

Nonetheless I have been wondering if my thinking is in error for a couple reasons. Classic Super System advocates flat calling an EP raise with QQ. HOH suggests 20% calls, although I think that is more for randomization purposes. Also losing my chips to a limped QQ a few times has made an impression.

So do you ever limp QQ? If so when and against whom? What are you trying to achieve? Do you have any general postflop plans?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Under what circumstances do you flat call a raise with QQ preflop?

I'll limp if i'm playing against a LAG and I'm in late position thus limiting action behind me as much as possible. If someone enters after the raise before me, I'm re-raising to limit the field. Post flop I hate to see an A, though if its heads up a K doesn't bother me unless he is leading super-strong.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:02 PM

I'd smooth call a raise with QQ only if I knew the raisers range was large, and they would play aggressively post flop whehter they connect or not.

I'd only limp with QQ if folded to me in the SB, looking to trap, and even then I'd prefer raising to look like a steal most of the time.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:03 PM

If you rule out AA/KK as you do, I would flat call in these situations.

1 aggressive player raise before me and he tends to make CB whether he hit the pot or not. When he makes the CB on the turn on a non scary flop I usually just call him and push the turn. If I got a few CB/C (CB/Call) in my notes tho, I love to throw in a raise against him since he can call it with nothing and check/fold the turn.

I'm in BB and the button opens. I will call his bet and check/raise the flop here.

Don't know what you guys think about these tactics?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:07 PM

So only three of you flat call with QQ?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:10 PM

I usually raise the aggressive player because they are so likely to play back at you with an inferior holding. In addition having an A/K flop is going to suck.