Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Preflop minraise and a set of King\'s

Was going to make a poll out of this hand, but am not remotely confident enough of the answers to do so. Villian (MP3) is a big LAG and we both have about $130 or so. $1 BB.

1 EP limper, Villian raises to $3.20, Hero minraises from the CO seat with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], folds to villian who calls.

<font color="purple">I admit, I minraise sometimes in situations just like this. I am LP, I want to isolate a player and shut out everyone else from the hand. Rarely, but I do it. So many players do it at this level, that one coming from me probably isn't even noticed. Although, when I do it, it's usually with hands like this, not top shelf. Comments welcome on that.

Villian always raises to $3.20 preflop. Might be premium, might be 75s.</font>

Pot is around $14. Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villian bets $14, Hero ???

--If he's bluffing, a raise knocks him out and prevents him from firing another unlikely, but possible barrel.
--If he has a worse piece than I do like AJ, KT, 88, I am WA and I don't want to blow him off his hand.
--If he's drawing with 2 clubs or QT, I want to raise him up.
--If I am WB to JJ, AK, or KJ, I'm probably destined to lose a bunch here.

What's my plan?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Preflop minraise and a set of King\'s

raise.

you don't know his hand range but your hand figures to be best and you have no idea which cards are scarecards.

also, there are times when you make this raise with say AJ right?
Old 10-20-2005, 05:02 PM

has he ever done this raise with a real premium? I'd call, play the turn carefully if it was a club, but i think you're way ahead. three bucks is pretty small of a raise anyways, so i doubt he has a strong hand, and since he didn't play back at you PF, you can pretty much kill JJ or AK given his regular raising action.

KJ is the only hand i'd be worried about. I'd be willing to risk the club draw if it means him firing a second round on the turn. If a check, raise and be ready to call or push all in.

Though the safe play is to re-raise and see what he does.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:10 PM

Push. I think he calls enough w a draw to make up for the times you're drawing practically dead and I don't see how just calling will make you any more money unless he has a weaker K and puts you on a draw but does a LAG bet the pot w top trips here or go for a cr? I say push.

edit: I predict he has KQspades and makes runner runner flush to win.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:19 PM

Let's see...

If you're behind, you're up against AK, KJ or JJ, he's gonna put you all-in after a raise, and would you be able to fold? Probably not, since he's a big LAG.

If you're ahead, but he's drawing to the flush draw, you still have outs to boat up.

If you're ahead, and he's got a KT or some kind of J, let him do the betting for you.

If you're ahead, and he's bluffing, the only way you can make money off this is if you just call.

If he's on a bluff, you can make more money by just calling. If he's ahead, you might lose less by just calling. If he's drawing, you might lose more if he hits.

It's a tough one, but I might just call this.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:26 PM

a flop as dangerous as this, could possibly induce a bluff if he put you on a small pair or a suited connector with your mini raise. AJ is what im thinking here, and judging by how you've played so far and how hes seen you play im either raising it up to $45 which will allow you to get away from the hand if you are positive he has you beat, jus calling here is a lil too risky and gives your opponent to draw out on you w/ something like K-X.

take a stand and see the reaction, go from there.

oh and the mini raise thing as deception isnt bad on occasion but most of the time you're gonna get either a flat call (what you want i assume) or a big re-raise. i dont really like the play unless i am trying to confuse a guy whos been giving me trouble.