Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Micro Hi: Large pot, aggression w/ 99.

As I play more often I hope to get reads on players. But I didn't have notes on these guy. How'd I do?

7 Card Stud High ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises
<font color="blue"> 2 hearts, and all my cards are live. I'm guessing Seat4 has a pair of 8's. Is reraising this correct? My goal was to get it HU, which didn't work out. </font>

4th Street - (11.20 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
<font color="blue"> This pot is huge, so I tend to LAG it up when that happens in Holdem. My hand could be behind big time here, but the goal to get it HU is on my mind again. After his 3-bet, I'm trapped (but he is low on funds). Seat 3 worries me, as I have no clue what he has. </font>

5th Street - (10.10 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls $0.25 and is all-in
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
<font color="blue"> Nice card for me. Seat 3 folds, Seat 4 goes AI, so we race HU finally. </font>

6th Street - (11.60 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___all-in
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

River - (11.60 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___all-in
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Total pot: (11.60 BB)
Old 10-18-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Micro Hi: Large pot, aggression w/ 99.

On 3rd, I'd likely just call the raise and see how it looks on 4th. I don't think reraising it will eliminated people at this level so you will just be fattening the pot and giving them correct odds to chase later. Just b/c you have the best hand most likely doesn't make reraising correct if you can't get it heads up.

4th is a ballsy raise on your part but he could just be betting a scare card and is probably looking to play all in. Interestingly, if primary villian wasn't close to the felt on 4th, I would be tempted to fold to his reraise due to the coldcaller. But since he is short, I likely would have capped in a probably futile attempt to get the A4 out. It's close though.

On 5th, a bet is right. Then just run them. I think the most interesting strategic decision relating to this hand is on 3rd and I think you screwed up. JMHO though.

Jeff
Old 10-18-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On 5th, a bet is right. Then just run them. I think the most interesting strategic decision relating to this hand is on 3rd and I think you screwed up. JMHO though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did it b/c I thought with all my cards live, that it'd be ok. If I have 998 w/ two hearts or QQ2r, then is the reraise is okay?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:14 PM

In general, your pair plays better against one person (at most two). If you had 789s and your suit was totally live, you want the field for example. Certain hands are more profitable heads up...if you know that your reraise can't get it down to just two of you (and in these games it won't), then it simply fattens the pot so much that it's unlikely you will be able to bet get anyone out (or have them make a mathematical mistake by calling you later). Since no one is likely to fold, I think you can just call the raise here and see how the cards fall on 4th. Then you can play appropriately depending on the position you find yourself. This is just my approach to the hand...sometimes even though you feel you have the best hand, your expectation will be higher if you wait to raise later.

If you were in a game where it was likely your reraise would get the pot heads up or 3-way, I'd agree with it more. In this case, I feel it's not optimal.

Jeff
Old 10-18-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I have 998 w/ two hearts or QQ2r, then is the reraise is okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting problem. With 998, it depends how the raiser plays. You having the 8 makes a buried pair more likely which could be a problem for you. If he is aggro, go ahead and reraise. Buried queens is a definite reraise b/c your hand is more likely to hold up and if you make 2 pair, it's more likely to beat someone else's two pair, etc. So when you reraise with that, while you'd prefer to get it head up, it's not as big a deal if you don't.

Jeff