Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 06:17 PM

Default 99 raised on the ace

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP calls, CO folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

River: (7 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Villain is unknown. I normally bet or check very quickly, but it took me about 10 seconds to bet on the river.

Some reasoning... I think I would've heard from a Q earlier. The ace shouldn't have helped him. The only hands that it would help are A5 or A7. I've been representing an overpair. It took me longer than normal to bet the river so maybe he thinks he can move me off KK, JJ-88. Add in the random retard factor when he missed his "two pair draw" or straight draw and I think it's a call.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: 99 raised on the ace

it's hard to know how people react when you wait before you do your actions and in similar posissions i've called in spots of that reson, but exept that reson you should fold the river. or looking at the tabel once again i've really hard to see that you are ahead. there is no draws at all at this table, so i can't really find a hand that rais the river wich you have beaten
Old 10-16-2005, 06:32 PM

When I play my A-game I quickly bet-fold this unless I have a good read to do otherwise.
Your long wait puts you into trouble as he really might think he can push you off your hand.
There are no draws on this board, he could have made a big slowplay, be on a bluff or the Ace really improved him.
Usually IŽd say he wont call all the way and bluff the preflopraiser on an A-river but you are getting 10:1 on your call. IŽd still fold it.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:14 PM

I used to bet/fold here but I find myself check/calling a lot lately (I play 5/10 too) and picking off a whole lot of airballs. It seems like the typical 5/10er will see the scare card and fire a desperate shell with anything here once you check. I like the reasons you give for calling the river raise but I don't think you can discount a naked A without reads. Some of these guys will be peeling this far with one.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:27 PM

couple of thoughts:

i hate it when i take a while to think because when a player raises me i feel obligated to call down because it increases the likelihood that hes bluffing. so i dont blame you for calling here.

however, once you take a while to think about what you are doing you should think "if i bet here can i safely fold to a raise?" in this instance the answer is apparently no, so i think the correct line would be check-call.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:52 PM

yeah sometimes they'll raise you if you wait before making your decision. exploit it
Old 10-16-2005, 07:57 PM

i think this is a bet/fold. if you called i think you see a5/a7/aq or a slowplayed 55/77/qq or something equally moronic like Q7s
Old 10-16-2005, 08:04 PM

If you're gonna bet this river I think you have to fold to a raise. I also think a check/call sucks.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:16 PM

Bet/fold can't be an option. You guys think at too high of a level. There are so many bluff attempts on the turn and river that I think especially against an unknown that bet/folding is bad here.

Check/calling is definitely much better than bet/folding, but whether bet/calling is better than check/calling depends on determining his weighted hand range which I don't feel like doing at the moment. But one thing is for sure-at 5/10 (6) we should be choosing lines that get to SD more than ones that give villain the chance to make us commit a huge error.

M
Old 10-16-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet/fold can't be an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. awesome.