Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 09:54 PM

Default WPTE as an Investment?

The stock is now below it's offering price and continues to slide. No news though. Any ideas on what's happening? Experts say that the stock is now priced at it's value for the programming and merchandising, with any online business that may be coming thrown in free.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: WPTE as an Investment?

[ QUOTE ]
The stock is now below it's offering price and continues to slide. No news though. Any ideas on what's happening? Experts say that the stock is now priced at it's value for the programming and merchandising, with any online business that may be coming thrown in free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of trusting what "experts" say (btw, I'm an expert too, and I say the stock price is headed to zero [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]), I think you should do your own research and decide for yourself what you think the company is worth.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an expert too, and I say the stock price is headed to zero [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]), I think you should do your own research and decide for yourself what you think the company is worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% about doing my own research, and I think there is more knowledge of the tournament poker industry in the membership of this site than anywhere else, especially among "experts".

But, can you give a few reasons/facts why you say the stock price is headed to zero?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:41 AM

They haven't made any money!

They are basically a media production company with a single show!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are basically a media production company with a single show!

[/ QUOTE ]

Only available on an obscure cable channel which most people don't even know exists.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, can you give a few reasons/facts why you say the stock price is headed to zero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you like the stock? Ignore what the analyist said. Right now the company is losing money. So if you think the stock is worth something, the burden of proof is on you.

How are they going to become profitable?

What is their long-term story? Where is their growth coming from in one, two, five years?

How are they going to remain in business once the poker shows begin to get cancelled (and they will eventually... bridge used to be on TV too)?

How do you feel about the Brunson bid in July? How do you interpret what happened?

I'm not saying WPTE is doomed. They might do well for themselves. And though I called myself an expert, I was kidding.. I'm anything but. But I think you should have solid answers to these questions that you really believe before you even CONSIDER investing in this, or any other, company.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:45 PM

Land Lakes Gaming still owns most of WPTE dont they? I'm not sure but that is what I was thinking. Land Lakes Gaming has a lot of new things in the works including the automated Hold em table that doesnt even need a dealer and can deal tons of hands an hour. Tom Franklin talked about this to me at a tourney one time, sounded interesting.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Land Lakes Gaming still owns most of WPTE dont they? I'm not sure but that is what I was thinking. Land Lakes Gaming has a lot of new things in the works including the automated Hold em table that doesnt even need a dealer and can deal tons of hands an hour. Tom Franklin talked about this to me at a tourney one time, sounded interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that you ever claimed it did, but I want to make it crystal clear that what you've said here does nothing to answer any of the questions I raised.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Land Lakes Gaming still owns most of WPTE dont they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably worth mentioning that Lakes Entertainment, majority owner of WPTE, was delisted from the nasdaq a while back [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 11:42 AM

On October 12, Steve Lipscomb, Founder, President and CEO of WPT Enterprises, Inc. (Nasdaq: WPTE - News) updated the investment community in an all- new, exclusive interview with Wall Street Network. Interview highlights include detailed discussions on the following topics:

- strategy to capture market share in international markets
- online gaming initiative
- what separates PPT from other televised poker tournaments
- forthcoming growth in the Company's consumer products division
- establishing WPT as the NFL or NBA of poker
- upcoming strategic and financial milestones

To hear the interview, visit www.wallst.net.