Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 08:40 PM

Default this one felt weird

just sat down, no reads

can i find a raise in here anywhere without spewing? bet river?

Ultimate Bet 50/100 Hold'em (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 10-15-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: this one felt weird

i raise the turn. why not bet the river when checked to? ppl will call with 5s, 2s, king high, 77-33, and youre really only worried about 99-JJ but those seem pretty unlikely.

edit: btw good job checking twice on the river.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:47 PM

i always check twice like santa claus
Old 10-15-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just sat down, no reads

can i find a raise in here anywhere without spewing? bet river?

Ultimate Bet 50/100 Hold'em (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you need to raise this flop to force out any overcard hands like KQ or any two higher cards that may make a loose flop call, if you believe people will fold these type of hands for one small bet than your play is ok to me.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i raise the turn. why not bet the river when checked to? ppl will call with 5s, 2s, king high, 77-33, and youre really only worried about 99-JJ but those seem pretty unlikely.

edit: btw good job checking twice on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with raising turn. This will put SB out of the pot if he has any overs.

If you don't raise the turn, I can't see why you wouldn't bet this river when checked too. SB will pay off with some little pair and mp will fold most likely.

-blake
Old 10-15-2005, 09:24 PM

I think raising the turn is fine, as long as he isnt real aggro. A lot of players will be aware of the fact that you probably have some sort of pair and are just looking to get to a showdown. So as long as he isnt the type to three bet you with a worse hand I like it. If I had just called the turn, I'd probably bet the river.

Just saw that you have no read. In that case I like calling the turn and betting the river
Old 10-15-2005, 09:30 PM

just curious, why aren't you raising this to shut out the blinds? I'm asking because this is the kind of hand I always seem to get into trouble with...
Old 10-15-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just curious, why aren't you raising this to shut out the blinds? I'm asking because this is the kind of hand I always seem to get into trouble with...

[/ QUOTE ]

Im probably three betting here too, not that it matters all that much what you do in this spot.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:18 PM

Why would you check the river?
Old 10-15-2005, 11:11 PM

i thought it was possible a bigger pocket pair was out there and also chickened out on a river bet. i tried to think of what worse hands would call