Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 07:37 PM

Default My Gamble is Bigger than yours (conclusion)

Read the original post of the same title first if you haven't already.

I proceeded to be extremely surprised at how easy this guy was to push around. He's incredibly loose aggressive at a 10 handed game, but heads up this guy was a mouse! Within 45 minutes he had only $75 left and I had only had to show down one hand. He showed me when he folded top pair and an ace kicker on a board with very little to fear (I had middle pair), and he even showed me a folded set one hand (I had a busted flush draw). I couldn't make sense of it.

Well, at $75, he makes me another bet.

'I'll give you even money, $100 says I still win it all'

I'm starting to feel like i'm in the twilight zone at this point, (who the hell makes a bet like that?) and naturally I accept the wager. He proceeds to catch fire immediately and has his $500 again in no time. Fine, back to work.

Again, I grind him down to around $150 primarily through well timed aggression. Again, he bets:

'Another $100 I win it all'.

Again, of course, I accept. He doubles up to $300 when I call an all in with a suited AQ (he had nines), then again to $600 when his flush hits against my top two pair. Grr but whatever. A third bet now:

'$100 says you never take me below $500 again'

Now i've got $1300 riding on the outcome, as I clearly can't refuse that bet either. He goes uber-tight and I can't hardly get him to even call a $10 raise on the $10 blinds, but he fights back just enough that I can't quite take him down really and we see-saw with not much change for about an hour.

Eventually, I get 6 6 and bring in for a $30 raise. He re-raises $30 and I call. The flop is J 10 6 with two clubs. He leads for $50 and I re-raise him $100 on top. He has perhaps $450 at this point. He smooth calls, and I watch him closely as the turn is dealt, then I look down and see it's the 2 of clubs. I really doubt he has it, but if he doesn't I decide to give him a shot to bluff and I check. Sure enough he goes all in and I call, turns out he has an AQ with not even one club. Elated, I watch a king hit the river, sigh, and double him up. Now i've really got my work cut out for me as he takes the lead for the first time.

It took me about three hours of teeth pulling, I even went as low as $200, but I built back to about $700 against his $800. At this point, the guy offers a draw on the game and says 'let's go take an online IQ test and whoever scores higher takes it all' Well i've seen him drink another 10 beers and snort a couple 8balls over our 6 hour encounter so far, so that sounds like a damn fine bet to me, but unfortunately a friend of his intervened and back to poker we went:P

We screw around for a while, stealing very small pots, neither of us committing much at any point, and then I get the AK of spades. I raise to $40, and he reraises me $40. I make it $180 to go, and he calls. The flop is a rainbow K Q 8. The vast majority of the night, i've been leading out strong with my strong hands, and I figure he might have jacks or something like that, so I check hoping to catch a check raise he's too committed to fold to, but he checks behind me. The turn is a 7 and I decide to fire $250 at it, leaving me only another $250 or so. He smooth calls. River is another 7. I check, he puts me all in, I don't see how I can fold, and sure enough, he has an A7 for trips, leaving me $1300 loser for the evening and taking a 25% hit on my bankroll.

You can all tell me I should have fired big at that flop or whatever, but after all those hours of getting used to the guy's play I think it was the right move, and since it apparently convinced him his pair of sevens was good on the turn, I think it was the right move.

That aside, at the end of it all, the guy makes me one of the craziest offers i've ever heard. He tells me he just bought a six bedroom house, complete with pool, jacuzzi, pool table, great parties hot women, etc. of course, and that he's so happy to have a sucker as big as me, he will give me free room and board in his home as long as I agree to play him an identical game once a week, guaranteed not to stop unless (or until as he put it) I get broke!

Obviously, I haven't got nearly the roll to do that, but I just thought it was amazing, because he was dead serious, and he was making a huge show the whole night of being the 'experienced gambler taking the "kid" to school'. Now I am confident that failing all else, with those $300 in side bets he made during the game, I clearly was not the sucker in this situation unless I was being cheated. However, it was a brand new copag deck and I was actually dealing the last two hours or so, so I don't see any chance of that.

So anyway, there's a little glimpse into the underground poker scene in little old gainesville florida... I can't even imagine what kind of junk goes down in a real city heh
Old 10-14-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: My Gamble is Bigger than yours (conclusion)

is this the part where you ask us to stake you?
Old 10-15-2005, 02:07 AM

lol hell no, i'm not broke yet and no way you're getting a piece of this sweet action
Old 10-15-2005, 03:27 AM

Wow awesome story. I live in G-ville too, I'll have to see if I can find this game. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Too bad about the results, but I'm sure you'll make it all back and then some, assuming this is not your only encounter with this guy.