Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Preflop laydown - KK

Lately I've come across the situation several times where I was reasonably sure my opponent held aces when I held kings preflop. I have been on a downswing and dropped down to play 6max 100/200NL.If they put me to the test, am I giving up too much by folding, even if I am 80% sure or better they have aces? The trouble is many play AK, QQ the same way. How sure do I have to be to fold KK? This is 6max, I can't lay this down can I?!!
Old 10-13-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Preflop laydown - KK

If you're coming across the situation frequently, then you're probably playing weak.

[ QUOTE ]
This is 6max, I can't lay this down can I?!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. When you run into aces, pay them off and move on, with your newly increased bankroll now that you're a stronger player.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:40 PM

Of course you can lay this down if you are 80% sure they have Aces.

It depends on a number of things whether or not you can be 80% sure though.
Have you seen the player re raise before? Some players will only re raise with aces.
Also how many people are in the pot when the guy re raises. If for example you have raised and then a couple call and the button raises then he may just be trying to pick up the pot or may be planning to get heads up and will try to take the pot down on the flop

If however you raise from mid position and then one of the blinds re raises and you have noticed that he hasnt re raised at all pre flop then there is more chance he has Aces.

There are a number of things to consider but if you feel 80% sure he has aces then fold the kings
Old 10-13-2005, 06:42 PM

I've laid them down one at 6-max (I posted it here, its about a week back) and on review of the play it looked like an error, although it was close. Problem is by the time you've put in enough to be sure they have Aces you're compelled to call even if theres a 10% chance they don't.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:55 PM

you can't fold kings preflop at 6max ever. I don't care if you think you are 80% sure he's got aces.....there is no way you can be sure and the odds of him having it are bad enough that you just call here...if he has them, then oh well.but you've gotta call everytime....so what if you get stacked very occassionally....most of the time you'll be stacking some donk overplaying a small pocket pair cuz he's seen wpt too many times.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:57 PM

You have to have an amazing read on the opponent to lay down Kings. For example, if you have reliable statistics on a rock that raises with only 1.2% of hands (only KK and AA), and your kings get reraised, you FOLD. BTW, it is -EV to call against a rock that raises only 2.4% of hands (AA, KK, AKs, AK).

In short, call an all-in raise with pocket kings, UNLESS you have reliable stats on the opponent who raises preflop 2.4% of the time or less.

Go forth and prosper.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:14 PM

1 in 24 they'll have aces or something? how can you ever be 80% sure.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:19 PM

OK, so, D.N. says HE has only laid down KK pre-flop one time in his life, and he was 100 percent sure he was up against AA.

He was wrong. Dude showed QQ.

Play KK. Every time.