Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Atempting to prove God\'s existence should be a sin.

This mainly goes for the ones who try to prove God exists. It should seriously be considered a sin in any faith based religion to do this. When a supreme God demands your worship based on faith alone why would you atempt to ratiopnalize it any other way?

Further more, when you get to whatever afterlife you believe in do you really think that your God willbe like "hey, you were 51% certain ofmy existence so you thought it would be +ev to believe in me, come on in!" ?

Personally if I was God Id say that the ones who found faith based on these deisscussions are no where near worthy for the afterlife. Id think that my word (as in the word of God) should be enough for followers to believe.

For this reason I think religions should ban attempts at proofs (besides the fact that they ALL suck)
Old 10-14-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Atempting to prove God\'s existence should be a sin.

To prove God's existence would be to find truth in your own mind. Purifying your mind is getting rid of sins that cause attachment so purifying your mind or, seeing your true nature/seeing the 'God' in you, would be the uprooting of sin, not sin.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:28 PM

Okay let me get this straight. OP is saying that to try and discover the truth in a way that satisfies your mind is a sin?

So whatever religion this is, is only for stupid people who believe whatever they're told?

I cant begin to articulate how scary it would be if more people believe that.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:30 PM

naw dude, going exactly against religion that calls for belief through faith by trying to PROVE Gods exsistence. I dont care wtf you do in your own mind, but feeling the need to prove your religion is weak. Remember Thomas.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:44 PM

hmmmm. I guess I agree, but that is why I am not a christian anymore... if my mind isn't here to be used, why have it in the first place?

I just can't stand being told "It's that way because I told you so"

But hey, different strokes for different folks, right?

Wanna throw somethin else at you though... what if, as an ex-christian, I suddenly stumble upon what I believe is incontrovertible truth that the Trinity exists, and therefore become a good little catholic boy again....

would God accept me?

edit: I just reread OP and saw that god said "+ev"... he would be the pimpest god ever.