Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Check raised all-in on river

Empire 100NL Full Ring

Hero has $99 and Villain covers. No reads on Villain as he’s been at the table less than an orbit.

Villain is SB and Hero is in MP with 4s 4c.

Preflop: folds to Hero who limps, folds around to Villain in SB who limps, BB checks.

($3) Flop: 4d 10h Qh

Villain bet $2, BB folds, Hero raises to $7, Villain calls.

($17) Turn: 4d 10h Qh 2d

Villain checks, Hero bets $13, Villain calls.

($43) River 4d 10h Qh 2d 3d

Villain checks, Hero bet $26, Villain goes all-in. Hero has $52 left that he has to call with. Hero???

Was it dumb to bet the river? I figured he either had top two, a strong queen, or was on a draw when he bet the flop. Even though there is s flush and straight out there, they would both have been unlikely runner runner draws. When he checked to me, I thought for sure I had the best hand and didn’t want to lose value by not betting? Is that wrong? Is it better to check behind? And do you fold to the check raise?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Check raised all-in on river

Bet the turn harder, pot or overbet, over half the cards in the deck are scare cards (Any [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Broadway, 9, 3, or 5). Check the river when the expected scare card hits.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:10 PM

I'd fold. I'd bet more on the turn though. Did he have K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? It looks like he had Qx [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 10-12-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn harder, pot or overbet, over half the cards in the deck are scare cards (Any [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Broadway, 9, 3, or 5). Check the river when the expected scare card hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

But is the river really a scare card though? That's the thing, a 3d didn't seem like it would help him. And I figured if it did, he probably would bet out because he'd be afraid of it being checked around. I wasn't happy to see the 3d hit, but it didn't particularly scare me either. With him betting out the flop and calling down, I really figured him for a hand already like Q-10 or K-Q and didn't want to lose the value. Does everyone agree that checking behind on this river is best?