Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 10:37 AM

Default interesting hand

Interesting Hand I played...curious to hear what you guys do here. At work so don't have hand history. Villain is really loose and really bad.

PP NL 100 6 max. Relevant Stacks

SB - 30
Hero covers.

Everyone folds to hero. Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero raises to $4.
SB calls $4.

Flop ($5) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain checks
Hero bets $8
Villain calls $8.

turn ($21) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Villain checks, Hero bets $15. Villain raises to $18 and is all in. Hero calls.

Thoughts?

My thinking was that he *might* be drawing, and if he isn't drawing he very likely only has 1 pair and it costs me like $3 bucks to win 60 if i'm right and my odds of hitting the 1 pair are way better than 20-1, which i'm getting. There is also a chance i'm ahead. Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: interesting hand

Calling the extra $3 is trivial.

If he's drawing, sure, you're ahead but if he has live pair outs, you aren't all that far ahead. If he has a set or two pair, you just made a PSB drawing dead. I've done stuff like this before but not without a strong read (something like "always raises TP or better on the flop, chases draws passively at terrible odds").
Old 10-12-2005, 10:45 AM

do you recommend shutting down on the turn?

I thought i'd run him off with the $15....obviously I didn't.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:54 AM

Without a read, I'm done without improvement when I get called on the flop. If I bet the turn, I bet enough to put him in.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:00 AM

I probably give up on the turn, he *might* have a draw but other than that, its not like he'll fold anything that's beating you.

As played, you pretty much have to call the $3 unless he flips over his cards and shows you that you're drawing dead.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:32 PM

I agree with your line of thinking, and this is currently something i'm working on in my game. In general, I think firing the second barrel on these types of boards is generally a good idea because there is a real chance he's drawing and will fold to the second barrel on the turn. However, I think this is a better strategy against a deep stack and isn't as effective against short stacks....I think my mistake is not in how I play these hands generally, but playing this way against a short stack....my turn bet against a deep stack would be the last of the money i'd put in this pot but it's generally enough to run off a hand that is one small pair or something because they know what the river could cost them with their bad hand...if i was raised i'd probably be done with the hand.

Villain turned over Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], river bricked and my hand was actually good.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:44 PM

yeah, just slow down on the turn.. this is what harrington calls.. "dark tunnel bet" i believe... u dont know where your at, and your just throwing money in the middle..

you must have not realized how little money he had back when u bet the turn.. i do that too

the call on the flop is scary enough.
im glad ur hand held up tho.