Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 11:43 AM

Default 10/12 Baseball

Anyone have any opinions on the games tonight? I haven't had time to cap them properly and probably won't before first pitch. I do like the Angels on first blush--who's got what?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: 10/12 Baseball

Unless someone here wants to talk me out of it I'll just play both dogs again.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:55 AM

Edge on the doggies. What's new?

I really like Houston. Line is totally hosed. Pettite pitching much better than Carp in last few weeks. I see real big edge here. I (gulp!) actually have Houston a slight fav in this game making the +168 look awful sweet.

I can't bet against my White Sox. But the line is whacked and Angels are the play. Sox should be favored but not quite so largely. I see 40 to 50 cents of edge in an Angels play that I really really really don't want to see come in [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 02:08 PM

Sorry mrb, but your Sox are going down, IMHO. The best possible situation for the Sox (Contreras + rest), and the worst for the Angels (a starter that normally wouldn't even be in the rotation, let alone pitch Game 1 of the ALCS + 2 flights in 2 days), and the Sox still couldn't win. I believe the Angels are much better, and I have a feeling the Sox are suffering from that "glad to have beaten the BoSox and be here" mentality. I could definitely be wrong.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:17 PM

How can we have any idea what kind of performance Washburn is going to give?

He hasn't exactly been lights out, and hasn't pitched in almost 2 weeks.

I'm not saying anything about the outcome of the game, but it seems there has to be a larger level of uncertainty when handicapping this game.

-SC
Old 10-12-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could definitely be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still like Sox chances a lot. LAA lost their ace. This is huge. Sox played a very bad and uncharacteristic game last night. And they still almost won. For them the key to success had been solid fundamentals waiting for the other guy to make a mistake. But last night they made the feilding gaffs and baserunning botches and were unable to execute.

I think the "rust" factor outweighed the "tired" factor. But Sox should have starting pitching edge in most games with Garland/Lackey being close. Sox bullpen is better rested which is important. But it should be a close series and well contested. These are the two best teams in the AL and both play a similar style of baseball. Tonight is very critical for Chicago as going west down 2 wouldn't be good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For them the key to success had been solid fundamentals waiting for the other guy to make a mistake. But last night they made the feilding gaffs and baserunning botches and were unable to execute.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually disagree here. Although I haven't watched nearly as much White Sox baseball as you this season (thank god), I don't see them as the "sit around and wait" kind of team. They make things happen--taking extra bases, stealing, play great D, etc, and win because they take advantage of all of the little mistakes of the other team rather than wait for the one huge blunder. The Angels do the same thing, and were just better at it than the Sox last night. Angels D was > than White Sox base aggressiveness. In essence, the White Sox got out-White Soxed. That's what gives me so much pause for the White Sox in this series--the Angels look like they do everything the same as the Sox, just better.

[ QUOTE ]
Tonight is very critical for Chicago as going west down 2 wouldn't be good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although they were the best road team in baseball this year, I can't see a reasonable situation where they beat the Angels 4 out of 5, with 3 in Los Angeles. They MUST win tonight.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For them the key to success had been solid fundamentals waiting for the other guy to make a mistake. But last night they made the feilding gaffs and baserunning botches and were unable to execute.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually disagree here. Although I haven't watched nearly as much White Sox baseball as you this season (thank god), I don't see them as the "sit around and wait" kind of team. They make things happen--taking extra bases, stealing, play great D, etc, and win because they take advantage of all of the little mistakes of the other team rather than wait for the one huge blunder. The Angels do the same thing, and were just better at it than the Sox last night. Angels D was > than White Sox base aggressiveness. In essence, the White Sox got out-White Soxed. That's what gives me so much pause for the White Sox in this series--the Angels look like they do everything the same as the Sox, just better.

[/ QUOTE ]

For all the talk about the White Sox and "small ball", they relied on it considerably less than the Angels and were much less successful at it.

The Angels hit more 90 more singles, 23 more doubles, and 8 more triples than CWS. They hit 53 fewer home runs.

They stole 22 more bases, while getting caught stealing 10 fewer times. They struck out 150 times fewer. Despite an inferior OPS (.733 vs. .748), they scored 16 more runs than the White Sox did. Part of this is because they were more successful at small ball. The rest is because they led the league in BA/RISP (.296).
Old 10-12-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They make things happen

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. They don't sit around and wait, that isn't what I meant. They are aggressive and try to force others into errors while their pitching generally keeps them in it. But yes, last night Angels did this better than the White Sox.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:03 PM

White Sox small ball pretty much died when Podsednik got hurt.