Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2003, 04:38 PM

Default When to fold

Last Saturday I was playing a small buy-in NL Hold-em tournament with 50 players. We were short handed (7 at my table) with about 25 players left. Over the previous 45 minutes I had had several quality hands (KK, KK, QQ, QQ, AKs) called and had lost, or been forced to lay them down. Anyway, my stack was about T1200 with an average stack size of +T3000 when the following hand came up.

I'm second to act with Qs2s and 3 players to act behind. I was sure that two of the players behind and the small blind weren't interested in the hand, leaving the button and the big-blind. I chose to raise the T300 BB to T800, hoping to steal the blinds and anties. All folded to the BB, who called. The flop came As 7c 2h, giving me Bolton pair and a double gut straight & flush draw.

After a moment, the BB bet T300 All-in. I studied him and quickly decided that he did, in fact, have the Ace.

It took me quite a while to decide what to do. If I had even an average stack, I would have dumped the hand right then, but we would be going to two tables soon and to win the tournament, I needed some chips, preferably before getting blinded off. So, I called and found his AQo, which used one of my outs and killed two more - sigh.

So, was the call correct, or should I have lived to see another hand. It has been bugging me a lot and I'm looking for input.

Jay

PS. This is the first time in about 12 of these tournaments that I hadn't made the final table (they start between 3-5 tables).
Old 05-26-2003, 10:49 PM

Default easy call

I don't know how much the antes were, but you are probably getting around 6:1 to call. Many players in the BB in this situation are going to push their last 300 in on any flop. Given the combination of these two factors, you cannot fold.

I don't know that I would steal raise 2nd to act with Q2s. Especially if the BB was shortstacked and thus more liable to call.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:56 PM

Default Re: When to fold

you only have T1200 and you raised T800? better to move allin if you decide to steal. when there's five more opponents to act, you should muck your Q2.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Re: When to fold

Call.

Pre-flop either muck or raise all-in. Leaving yourself with 300 is just silly.

Ken Poklitar