Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Some Things The Catholc Church Admit Are Untrue

Just so that everybody is talking about the same thing, I lifted this from the recent article mentioned on the other thread. I'm curious which Christians take issue with it.

UNTRUE

Genesis ii, 21-22

So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept he took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh; and the rib which the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man

Genesis iii, 16

God said to the woman [after she was beguiled by the serpent]: “I will greatly multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children, yet your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.”

Matthew xxvii, 25

The words of the crowd: “His blood be on us and on our children.”

Revelation xix,20

And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had worked the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshipped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with brimstone.”
Old 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Some Things The Catholc Church Admit Are Untrue

Off topic a bit, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what caused the church to reconsider these things and declare them untrue.

Science?
Political pressure?
Some other reason pertaining to religious accuracy?
A little of all the above?
Old 10-11-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Off topic a bit, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what caused the church to reconsider these things and declare them untrue.

Science?; Political pressure? ; or Both?

[/ QUOTE ]I assume reason.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:23 PM

perhaps the catholic church is in business for itself.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:38 PM

Just to clarify- the catholic church does not speak for all believers, alot of catholics in my family think it's a little looney.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Political pressure?

[/ QUOTE ]

In one of the cases, this is nearly certain.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:56 PM

to the poster who believes that the catholic church is in business for itself, this is only true if by "itself" you also mean the single largest group collection of charities and non-profit organizations in the world. If you mean that, then yeah.

I dont know, maybe the scores of "evangelical ministers" (protestants) who appear on tv and bs you and then tell you that god will bless you if you give them money, maybe they just might be in business for themselves.

I would like to believe that the Church appended their beliefs on the above quoted sections of the bible solely because of conviction and reason, but it is a human organization.

Its funny how vehemently I defend the Catholic Church, seeing as how Im an atheist.

Oh well, I guess I'll step into the role of "resident Catholicism expert" [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

haha, just kidding
Old 10-11-2005, 08:35 PM

Just as one example, it can never be stated by the Catholic Church that the words “His blood be on us and on our children" were never said. That would be saying the Evangelist who witnessed it was a liar.

The entire article is a piece of crap that merely causes confusion. One must read the original text it cites instead to figure out what the writers are thinking.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:56 PM

Yep, Pete is correct. "Untrue" is merely yellow journalism. (Haven't been able to find the original text, yet. A link would help if anyone does.)

I suspect we will find the word "allegory" used quite a bit in the teaching document in question.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:59 PM

P.s - The reason for the document? Don’t be surprised if it wasn’t published for the edification of us 2+2ers. (Maybe we are as big as our collective heads.) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]