Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 01:19 PM

Default A little analysis for all those mad at Party

Everyone who is upset at Party for this development is missing a big point. PP is not your employer, as many have implied. Also, you are not a PP customer! Party Poker made a decision that didn't actually hurt any of thier customers, but customers of competitors who share resources with Party, probably at Party's expense. How many of you who are upset used to be PP players but switched to EB or Empire for better RB?

Hell, the whole time PP made it clear in the Afilliate terms that the program was not to be used for RB, but rather as an incentive for people to promote new players. Perhaps PP's decision months ago to make it more difficult for serious players to pay a reduced rake at the site was a bad decision, but it was a decision that was thiers to make.

Now, this weekend's severing of it's ties with the network actually only hurts other people's customers, many of whom will come back to party because of this decision. If I were a PP shareholder, I'd be very happy with this move.

just because you claim poker as your job does not make Party Poker responsible for treating you like an employee. you are either thier customer, which if something about this has upset you than you can take your business elsewhere (why you would be upset, I don't know. games are softer now, so it shouldn't be upsetting) or you are someone else's customer, and they don't even have a responsibility to be courteous to you or concern themselves with your needs.

People who were previously breaking terms with Party so they could multitable better have even been looked after, with PP now allowing 10 tabling. Party has actually tried hard to look after the interests of thier customers.

I empathize with everyone who has lost easy access to thier rakeback. Most of you will probably find yourselves with more options than you currently think. I can even understand mindlessly ranting about how PP shat on your parade, or whatever. but all these claims that PP is making a bad business decision are absurd. One of the great things about 2+2 is that we can get a reasonable picture of this industry and what kind of a part of it we are. Such clear misinformation being bantered around is good for no one.

I suppose I'll go back to the lurk

-Rudy
Old 10-10-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: A little analysis for all those mad at Party

I've already moved on. Plenty of other (non-Party) seas with fish.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:40 PM

GREAT POST!!!!

I would look to rebut a little. I 100% agree with you in that party poker doesn't owe me a thing. However, It seems to me party is not taking care of it's most high volume player which i have to believe are the better players. Yes we all put up with party's nonsense because the players were so bad and because of the RB programs. Well we know the RB"S are gone, i will also argue that so are the bad players. The 3-6 and 5-10 games are rock gardens and it seems that the fish are moving on to other sites.

These were the only two reasons i put up the other nonsense and now they're gone. So i will gladely take my 4k rake per month to other sites. Which by the way, are stepping up to be very competitive (recent stars deposit bonus as one example). There is plenty of money to be made on the competition's site so i say farwell to the evil empire known as Party poker.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:09 PM

I agree with that this will be a good move for the multi-tabling pros in the long run. But just like pp is suffering short term, so are we. My months income will be down 1 to 2k because of this. I think that is what most people are ranting about. Most of the initial rants were before anyone was aware of 10 tabling, and the PP rakeback deals being cut with skin affiliates.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:14 PM

Thank you for the hilarious post! Be careful though, logic has been known to cause epileptic fits in the zoo.

And please don't go back to lurk, we need more good posters here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 03:21 PM

This is so last Saturday.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:48 PM

Just to counter--I now have accounts on sites I never dreamed of playing 3 days ago and I found out the games are not much worse, the rake is smaller, and I get rakeback on top of it. Maybe not the worst business move, but I know Party lost a multi-tabler until they give me a good reason to come back.

They've created a much more competitive landscape and I think this will only help me/ hurt them in the long-run.

If they wanted to increase their take, Party could've just exercised their rights to keep people to one account on the shared game platform/network. They could've cracked down on the rakeback affiliates were giving. Party chose a different route, which I see as sub-optimal in terms of pokerroom profits in the long-run.

Also, nice communication in advance. i'm reminded on a different online business, eBay, that wanted to shut down it's half.com operations, only to find it had a solid following that would be really upset and cancelled such plans. Party seemed to make a thief in the night move. Bad judgment. It rubbed me and many other previously devoted players the wrong way.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe not the worst business move, but I know Party lost a multi-tabler until they give me a good reason to come back.

[/ QUOTE ]

A big part of my point here is that party did not lose a big multi-table customer when you left, they lost a small kickback from one of thier competitors. I don't know the real numbers, but I would guess from what i have seen, that after rakeback deals thier cut from the skins off of you is probably worth between 1/4 to 1/8 what a player on thier site is worth, and that might be optimistic. if one in three players come back to PP, and only 3 in 4 of those players figure out how to get RB from PP, this move will have been outrageously incredible. that's not even taking into account the potential that some of the players who do not come to PP might stay at the skins, where they will continue to be worth the same to Party.

Something that I didn't realise until recently is that Party has just outgrown the need for the skins. Internet poker is so incredibly large, and every player that comes to Party learns within a few minutes of playing that they can get RB deals on the skins from the chat room spammers. as long as the easiest or best RB comes from the skins, Party will only keep a small percentage of these "best customers" everyone keeps talking about.