Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Just wondered

How long does it take to get good? I mean how long does it take to be able to play 1000 hands and feel that you dont miss a BB? Right now I am at the point where I question almost 1 hand in 10 I play.. Like, should I limp behind wiht QJo from CO with one caller infront or should I raise it up. How about continuation bets until the river.. One good thing about playing 6max is that I am beginning to see how IMPORTANT position is. Its atleast one BB postflop to have position on the villain. I just hate to be called by the button when I raise with A9 or K10s [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Ps. I try to keep track on how many misstakes I make and I am at around 3-5BB/100 hands. Its mostly missed bet folds, spewage with blind defense and attemps to steal blinds. I try to not be results oriented when I go through the data but obviously its difficult to be objective..
Old 10-11-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Just wondered

[ QUOTE ]
I mean how long does it take to be able to play 1000 hands and feel that you dont miss a BB?

[/ QUOTE ]
i stopped here, because the answer to this will probably answer the whole question.

you'll never feel like that.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:07 AM

Well, How many do you feel that you are uncertain about? Like I said I am almost uncertain about 1/10 that I play.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:11 AM

i know i just made a stupid river call after getting check raised right now. i've also made some dumb flop and turn plays. i called a river earlier with ace high against someone who i should have known wouldn't bet w/o a pair. i'm having a crappy night tonight and i've compounded it a few times.

i just don't count my mistakes - that would bring me down.

edit: i'm now quitting for the night. too many stupid hands. btw, when you're running bad, you will think it's your fault. many times you think you made a glaring mistake it's because you're having a bad run. if you want to feel better about yourself, compare your mistakes to the mistakes other players make. i beat myself up for making a stupid bet or call in a really close decision, but these players are - for instance - bet calling 66 on a 78J board and check calling down... THAT'S a mistake. don't let [censored] get to you.

[end inspiration]
Old 10-11-2005, 12:19 AM

I feel you. The reason I made the post was that I had a particulary bad night too. Major spewage in the blinds and every pair getting cracked on the river. The bad part is that I cant bet fold a 10BB pot with TP vs one player..... so I always lose 1BB more.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 12:25 AM

You have asked a very difficult question to answer. So I am going to pretend that you asked the following (related) question:

"How long does it take until you feel like you're beating a level, playing consistently at the top of your ability?"

It depends a lot on the type of person you are. A confident person might think that they are at the peak of their game after only a few thoushand hands (which they often won't be). And a less confident person might still be very doubtful after very many hands (even if they are playing extremely well). Other factors that affect this will include comfort level with the stakes and how well you have been running over your last few thousand hands.

For me, it can vary quite a bit. Some levels, it has taken me only a few thousand hands to realize that you're beating it and playing quite well. Other times it has taken me up to 25k hands to get comfortable

so basically, it depends.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:39 AM

Ok, seems like I just have to grind 10-20k hands more then. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]