Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 04:17 PM

Default River play with set of nines

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB

Is this the correct play on the river? The ten of clubs completes a backdoor flush and a straight, but are there any reasons to read my opponents for either of these hands?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: River play with set of nines

SB wakes up after calling down? I might just call here and go for a MP overcall, gladly call any raise. BTW, I smooth call the flop after betting and go for a check raise on the turn. Not sure how risky that is - do you peg MP for the free card play?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:29 PM

I'd go for an overcall on the river, and call a raise from MP2. If SB caps and I have to call two BBs, I'm thinking about folding.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:40 PM

I don't figure MP for the free card play. He/she was betting and raising with nothing a lot of the time on the flop and continuing to the river.
Maybe I should have smooth-called the flop and went for the check-raise on the turn because of this tendency, but I figured that the player would continue to bet and raise with me on all the streets. I thought that I would have been missing many bets by just calling the raise.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:51 PM

In small stakes, I find too many people slow down when you 3-bet the flop. Pop on the turn as you will often catch the other guy, since he's already paid off one bet.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:12 PM

I think this is fine (river raise). You have shown a lot of strength here. I know people aren't logical, but why would SB bet into you with a straight or flush when he knows you will probably bet and he can then c/r everyone? And given your read on MP as a guy who puts his money in with nothing early on there's no guarantee he calls the river, or fails to call two with some top pair hand.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Is this the correct play on the river? The ten of clubs completes a backdoor flush and a straight, but are there any reasons to read my opponents for either of these hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

MP2 could easily have KQ. He raised the flop hoping to drive SB out and/or get a free card. He called the turn with a gutshot and overs because the pot was huge. TT is another possibility, but you'd think he would fold after blanking the turn. I have no clue what SB could be holding. K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is the only thing that makes sense to me.

I'm no expert, but your river play looks fine to me.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:01 PM

nice hand.