Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 11:27 AM

Default A 10s in early posistion

How are you guys playing this hand in first throught third posistion?

Any comments on playing this hand when you flop top pair but no flush/straigh draw? (assuming flop was 10 high or A high)

But more importantly, are you rasing in early pos. with it, limping...????

I found my self in early pos. with it last night and I limped, and was raised by MP, and button called. BB called, flop came A high, I checked there was a bet and a button raise BB folded, and I mucked having only top pair with a potential backdoor flush draw.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: A 10s in early posistion

I am raising it.

I also almost never fold top pair for a single bet, and would have led the flop in your hand example.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:41 AM

raise or fold, i would only limp this hand if it was a really loose game with lots of limpies behind me.

here's one thing to consider, it's harder for AJo to call a raise but easy to limp or raise after a limper.

Seriously. Not a flame.

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously. Not a flame.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:42 AM

ATs is a raise for me 1st in.

With respect to the hand in question, it's hard to know what to do without some knowlege of the opponents. If the button is rockish, I tend towards folding, if he's laggy, I tend towards a 3-bet.

With respect to your other thread, I think you should work more on your game before taking a shot at the home game. It seems that the stakes are a little too much for you at this point, and asking some relatively basic PF questions like this indicate you have some things to learn before you are ready.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:43 AM

www.stfu.com
Old 10-07-2005, 11:54 AM

If it were relatively basic, how come the responses are different in regards to the question? I'm attempting to gather a number of responses as to how the hand is played, and make a conclusion based on that. Obviously the texture of the game is a huge factor in how the hand is played, but let me reitterate this....if this were truely a basic PF question, wouldnt the answer be the same from almost everyone who replied? The answer is no, because it is a hand that requires special attention, and your style and the texture of the game will greatly determine how you proceed in early position.

Thanks for the response anyways.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it were relatively basic, how come the responses are different in regards to the question? I'm attempting to gather a number of responses as to how the hand is played, and make a conclusion based on that. Obviously the texture of the game is a huge factor in how the hand is played, but let me reitterate this....if this were truely a basic PF question, wouldnt the answer be the same from almost everyone who replied? The answer is no, because it is a hand that requires special attention, and your style and the texture of the game will greatly determine how you proceed in early position.

Thanks for the response anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand makes money from first position when raised. It makes money from first position when limped. This is backed up by tens of thousands of hands. It also makes more money when raised then when limped.

End of story.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:12 PM

A lot of people have different preflop standards but myself, first I never limp in the first three positions partially because my preflop standards are extremely high for these spots and like the earlier poster said, if the game is tight then you are going to knock out the a/j or low pocket pairs in late position. I don't think that it is an undebatable topic however, I wish there were more simple posts like this where people can discuss preflop actions, not because we are "unschooled" in preflop hand analysis, but we can see a looser or tighters players logic in simple preflop hands