Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 08:38 AM

Default I\'m going start folding to almost every turn raise

Unless I'm HU about 90% of turn raises mean someone's got a better hand than TPTK, so unless the pot is really big I'm going to fold my TPTK and probably overpairs too. Good strategy?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Re: I\'m going start folding to almost every turn raise

[ QUOTE ]
Unless I'm HU about 90% of turn raises mean someone's got a better hand than TPTK, so unless the pot is really big I'm going to fold my TPTK and probably overpairs too. Good strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I have your ID and loc you play at?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:59 AM

No, its not a good strategy.

You will probably end up folding the best hand too often to make your simple plan profitable.

Consider the size of the pot, your opponent's playing tendencies and try to use your hand reading skills, when making your poker decisions.

TPTK or an overpair is a good hand, and if the pot is a reasonable size should not usually be discarded for a 1 bet turn raise.

Remember your opponents may be raising with something like a strong draw (as a semi-bluff), or even as a complete bluff if a scare card fell.

Also automatically folding hands to any turn raise will become noticeable to your opponents, and folding good hands will not be profitable in the long run.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:13 AM

No.

After losing what seemed everytime with my TPTK when someone raised the turn I decided to adapt the same strategy. In the next session I decided to fold my TPTK even when the pot was largish. In that session I gave a away two rather big pots to the turn raisers. Two pots I would have won. After that I gave up on that simple strategy.

What I think you have to do is

1. Consider the pot size. In a small pot it may not be worth it. But if it's many players in this is not often the case. In large pots don't fold. If you don't fold in large pots you don't have to be right many times for it to be +EV. On the other hand you will lose many times and FEEL like your spewing chips. And when you win it will FEEL like you only won one extra BB from the guy who tried the bluff raise. So although the overall gut feeling is that you only win one extra BB once in a while and lose one extra BB many times this is not the case. If you fold everytime you lose the WHOLE POT occasionally. In big pots this is very bad.

2. The raise could mean someone made two pair. With an overpair or TPTK you usually have a decent draw to beat it.

3. There are a few people who also like to slowplay their
TP to make sure the turn is safe card. This is especially true if you were the preflop raiser and they think the flop didnt hit you, say the flop came 10 7 3 and they hold KT.
When the turn comes <10 the might raise. Folding your JJ here is bad (I know, I've tried it).

4. Look for scare cards. Some players at the micros love to pretend they have a flush as soon as the board is three suited. (not so much with three-connected boards though). Also, a quite common bluff attempt at the micros is to raise the turn when the board pairs the middle or lowest card.

5. Think of the player type. Be more inclined to fold if one of the calling stations suddenly start raising than if it's a LAG. Also, is the player clever enough to raise for value against many opponents with a draw that suddenly came on the board.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:20 AM

You would not lose a lot of money with that strategy.

Normally when someone raises on the turn they have better then top pair. At least in 1/2 and up - lower you have crazy and stupid people raising on the turn with less. More dumb bluffing that will cost them a ton of money once they start playing real poker.

So your idea is valid IF you do not use it as a default. Of course knowing your opponents is the key. People do not take raises seriously enough.

BTW - good post bjarne - however - don't change your play BECAUSE your in the micros unless you KNOW that you are playing this way BECAUSE it's the micros. Once you hit 1/2 you need to change realize that it's a different game.

Grinders sometimes entertaining Poker/Life Blog
Old 10-04-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You would not lose a lot of money with that strategy.

Normally when someone raises on the turn they have better then top pair. At least in 1/2 and up - lower you have crazy and stupid people raising on the turn with less. More dumb bluffing that will cost them a ton of money once they start playing real poker.

So your idea is valid IF you do not use it as a default. Of course knowing your opponents is the key. People do not take raises seriously enough.

BTW - good post bjarne

Grinders sometimes entertaining Poker/Life Blog

[/ QUOTE ]

You're grinder?!? Nice

I don't really think you should put this idea into people's heads. Yes you sometimes want to fold TPTK, but I don't think we should be advocating placing such broad criterion when faced with these situations(and I'm not saying you are). When facing a raise with any hand we should look at the situation a see where we stand. I think you do lose a lot of money in this situation.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:33 AM

Bad strategy. See "Hidden Outs" in SSHE.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... don't change your play BECAUSE your in the micros unless you KNOW that you are playing this way BECAUSE it's the micros. Once you hit 1/2 you need to change realize that it's a different game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only referred to the micros since that is the only experience I have. I'm playing both 0.5/1 and 1/2 at Party.
And although I know everybody round here says 1/2 is so much tougher than 0.5/1 I just don't agree. I find the same donks at the 1/2 as in the 0.5/1 (full ring games). Maybe when (and if) I reach 2/4 it will be different.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:43 AM

Nah you should always reraise for fold equity.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:03 AM

bjarne - I basically skipped 1/2 and went to 2/4 after .5/1 - you are correct that there are the same dorks but there are also more . . . .non-dorks and because of the scared money thing play is tighter (IMHO).