Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Question on using terminology... \"the nuts\"

Say I have a hand that, knowing my cards, is the best possible hand this board can make, however is not technically the nuts on this board. Would I still be correct to say I hold "the nuts?"

Example:

I have AK.

Flop comes AAK.

Obviously just looking at this board not knowing any hole cards, "the nuts" would be AA.

However holding AK, I know no one can possibly have AA, so would I be correct in saying I hold "the nuts?"

Sorry if this is a silly question.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Question on using terminology... \"the nuts\"

Yes.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:53 AM

the nuts is an unbeatable hand, given the game that you are playing

pure nuts, is the best possible ranking hand that someone could have.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:12 AM

Yes. I believe some books describe your hand as the "relative nuts" rather than the pure nuts but you are still correct in saying you had the nuts.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:32 AM

We've also had a recent debate that falls along these lines... the use of the term "Nut flush"

if the board is reading 3 well space diamonds, lets say "3 8 J" and no pairs, then if you hold 2 diamonds, including the A, then you hold the "Nut Flush" but what if the board pairs, is your hand still called the "Nut" flush because while it's the highest possible flush, it is no longer the nut hand.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:13 AM

it's still the nut flush, but not the nuts. nuts just means "best possible" whether it be the nut straight, or the nuts overall. nuts is the kind of word that if you say it aloud to yourself, eventually it loses all meaning.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's still the nut flush, but not the nuts. nuts just means "best possible" whether it be the nut straight, or the nuts overall. nuts is the kind of word that if you say it aloud to yourself, eventually it loses all meaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I view the turn "nut" as an adjective to the hand as a whole, and not the flush held. There is only one nut hand, also, if the board read 2345 of diamonds you wouldn't call your A of diamonds the nut flush, would you?
Old 10-04-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I view the turn "nut" as an adjective to the hand as a whole, and not the flush held. There is only one nut hand, also, if the board read 2345 of diamonds you wouldn't call your A of diamonds the nut flush, would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to be nitty, the K would be the nut flush and the 6 would be the nut straight flush and absolute unbeatable nuts. It's really a matter of semantics and doesn't make a big difference.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to be nitty, the K would be the nut flush and the 6 would be the nut straight flush and absolute unbeatable nuts. It's really a matter of semantics and doesn't make a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to be REALLY nitty, the A is still the nut flush (even though it happens to be a straight flush), since the King-high is never the nut flush. Also, since I'm in a nitty mood today, the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is the nut straight flush, and therefore, the "pure nuts". [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2005, 01:55 PM

it's still the best possible flush, but not the best possible hand. i think you can still consider it the nut flush. obviously if it's a straight flush, you wouldn't call it just a flush.