Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Could I become a professional athlete?

My friends and I were having a debate and regarding the following question. If we were to pick anyone from the day they were born and pick one position in one sport which they would become a professional athlete in. They would then practice that sport everyday for their whole life, they wouldn't go to school etc. Do you think you could make it?

As well what level could you make it in? A or the Big Leagues? Also what positions could you make it or not make it in? Obviously a kicker would be easier than a QB.

Also for the purpose of the discussion you will be average size for the position of choice. Which brings in another point if from the day you were born you knew you would be 7" 300 lbs could you become a NBA center or PF.

Let hear what you think
Old 10-05-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Could I become a professional athlete?

[ QUOTE ]
Also for the purpose of the discussion you will be average size for the position of choice. Which brings in another point if from the day you were born you knew you would be 7" 300 lbs could you become a NBA center or PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would obviously be a lot easier to make it as a 7' NBA center than a 6'0 major league shortstop. I think a lot of people could make it in the NBA if they were 7' tall and trained their whole life. Very few are going to make the major leagues.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would obviously be a lot easier to make it as a 7' NBA center than a 6'0 major league shortstop. I think a lot of people could make it in the NBA if they were 7' tall and trained their whole life. Very few are going to make the major leagues.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, the same reasoning goes if you are a 6'6" 315 LBS dude, cause then you could have a shot at making it as a NFL lineman

personally, as much as I love NFL football and soccer, I always wanted to be a major league 2nd baseman or a right fielder. I wouldn't have to be an all-star or anything like that, but have a solid career and be in the ML for 10-12 years
Old 10-05-2005, 11:08 PM

your answer lies within skill sports and positions. though you have to be athletic b/c a lot of the moves dictate it, if you work on the skill all your life developing the proper mechanics and arm strength, one could become a "professional pitcher," this does not mean a major leaguer b/c that involves a lot of luck.

golf is another skill sport, thousands of swings a day from an early age and you can get this done.

sports that require athleticism to the highest degress such as being a small forward in the NBA would nullify how much you practiced if you just didn't have the natural ability to go with the skill.

this question was really easy b/c i have had this discussion for years in dugouts all over the country.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 PM

I think that if someone trained a kid for Major Leagues, a Knuckleball pitcher seems like a good try.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that if someone trained a kid for Major Leagues, a Knuckleball pitcher seems like a good try.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is very wrong.

you can't train someone for the "major leagues." you can train them well enough to get drafted and get into organized ball (professional baseball/minor leagues) then from there its basically who gets the breaks and luck factors in. once you get to AA/AAA the seperation of talent level evens out and it comes down to injury, business etc., not necessarily what is fair 100% of the time. i could go way into this but the post would be too long.

as for turning him into a knuckleball pitcher this is really a terrible idea, look at how many knuckleballers there are and how many pitchers there are, there is a reason for that. knuckleballers a reserved for former big leaguers in the twilight of their career that are just trying to add a few more years to it (most of the time).
Old 10-06-2005, 12:23 AM

i wonder what percentage of the u.s. is 7 feet tall and has not played nba ball. i suppose it might be 75 - 80%? so if you had a 15 - 20 % chance of making the nba this is probably certainly larger than any other height weight group.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so if you had a 15 - 20 % chance of making the nba this is probably certainly larger than any other height weight group.

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition, if you know from the beginning that you are going to be 7' and devote your life from day one to making it in the NBA, your chances will be a whole lot higher.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well, the same reasoning goes if you are a 6'6" 315 LBS dude, cause then you could have a shot at making it as a NFL lineman

[/ QUOTE ]

There are definitely a lot more bulky 6'6 guys than seven footers around.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i wonder what percentage of the u.s. is 7 feet tall and has not played nba ball. i suppose it might be 75 - 80%? so if you had a 15 - 20 % chance of making the nba this is probably certainly larger than any other height weight group.

[/ QUOTE ]

75-80%? Try like 99.something%. You really think the number of 7' tall people in the entire country is in the thousands?