Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Mr. Button wanted some action...

$100-200 NL game
9 handed

EDIT: Blinds are $3/5

Button has $400.
Everyone else has $200.

No read on the button as this is my 3rd hand at the table and he folded the first two.

Button has 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, I fold, CO calls, <font color="red">Button raises to $20</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 players)
Pot: $100

BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, <font color="red">Button bets $20</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players)
Pot: $200

<font color="red">BB bets $25</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, CO calls, <font color="red">Button pushes All-in...</font>

The first mistake I thought the button made was that his flop bet was so small. Anyone with a straight draw was getting the pot odds for the call and even a gutshot had the implied odds to do so profitably.

The second mistake was on turn. Maybe I am too weak/tight, but I thought he was risking a lot more with his push because his flop play had created a huge pot and BB, MP1, and CO now had the pot odds to call with a flush or straight draw. Wouldn't calling the turn be better, especially since he will have position to come over the top if he fills up on the river?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Mr. Button wanted some action...

Wait, what are the blinds? 1/2 I'm assuming? The PFR seems pretty high and with all those limpers, I generally limp behind. The flop bet is way too small. Given the amsll flop bet, I don't like the turn push because AQ is possible here. I'd like it a lot better if he had potted the flop.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:58 PM

Strange hand to post, but yeah the flop bet is a complete disaster and the turn is an awful card for a set. On the turn the button should just call because he has more than good enough odds to boat up and has no fold equity with so many people in the hand. If improves than he can get it all in on the river, if not hes probably folding.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Strange hand to post

[/ QUOTE ]

?
Old 10-05-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Strange hand to post

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange because you're not the button and you've pointed out his mistakes in your own post so theres not much to say
Old 10-05-2005, 02:27 PM

the button obviously played like [censored].
Old 10-05-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Strange hand to post

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange because you're not the button and you've pointed out his mistakes in your own post so theres not much to say

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I posted this to make sure that I was thinking properly about how poorly the button played. Though I would have played both the flop and turn differently, it does not mean that I would have played them correctly, especially thinking about calling the turn.