Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 11:55 PM

Default AQo did I miss a value bet?

Hand converter won't work with this hand, so please excuse the mess. Anyways, did I miss one here?
UTG is 28 7 1.5 after 35 hands

Party Poker (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">UTG Folds, UTG+1 calls,2 folds, Hero Raises, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls</font>.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks. Hero Bets, UTG+1 calls

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks.Hero Bets, UTG+1 calls

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.....
Old 10-05-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: AQo did I miss a value bet?

can you define a value bet?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:09 AM

I think this check is fine.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:15 AM

Just basically betting the river because I am going to be ahead the majority of the time (this is where I am not sure, which is why I am asking)....also forgot to give a read on the player 28 7 1.5.....going back to edit now.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just basically betting the river because I am going to be ahead the majority of the time (this is where I am not sure, which is why I am asking)....also forgot to give a read on the player 28 7 1.5.....going back to edit now.

[/ QUOTE ]
so if you're ahead on the river you should bet?

that's not the idea behind a value bet. you have to be ahead a majority of the time when called. in other words the villain has to call your river bet more often with a worse hand than a better hand.

now do you know what you should have done?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:32 AM

There are times to value bet AQ-high, but this isn't one of them. If the villian has a pair he is going to call while he probably won't call if he doesn't have one. He will sometimes have a worse A-high and call (and he might be that rare player that folds a pair), but if you bet and get called you aren't going to win very often. Even if you do have the best hand here &gt; 50% of the time, you will win &lt;&lt; 50% when there is a bet and a call.

Brad
Old 10-05-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not the idea behind a value bet. you have to be ahead a majority of the time when called. in other words the villain has to call your river bet more often with a worse hand than a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I know I should know this by now, but I have trouble analyzing my own hands alot of the time.

I am still a little lost though. If the guy was say %40 preflop I think this is an easy bet, but at %28 I am leaning towards checking as the right play. I just don't see him calling with a worse hand here.....which is pretty much exactly what you were trying to say wasn't it? I swear I'll get it one of htese days [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I know I should know this by now, but I have trouble analyzing my own hands alot of the time.

I am still a little lost though. If the guy was say %40 preflop I think this is an easy bet, but at %28 I am leaning towards checking as the right play. I just don't see him calling with a worse hand here.....which is pretty much exactly what you were trying to say wasn't it? I swear I'll get it one of htese days [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
so what hands will the 40% guy call a river bet with that the 28% guy won't, and how do these added hands mean that you will win this a majority of the time when called? i really suggest trying to do this.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
so what hands will the 40% guy call a river bet with that the 28% guy won't, and how do these added hands mean that you will win this a majority of the time when called? i really suggest trying to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I have thought about it a little more....not many at all. I know this must be a very basic hand for you so I appreciate all the input you have given me.