Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 08:34 PM

Default What\'s Up with the Sharks?

I joined party a couple of weeks ago so I could make use of Poker Tracker and improve my game. For now, I still have Sherlock. I've been playing .50/1.00 and 1/2 in equal percentages so far. I'm up, a little, in both, but what I can't believe is how many sharks just stay at a table with the other sharks. I mean my software ID's them as sharks when they're below 15 VPIP, and I'll routinely find 5 of them at a table. What I'm wondering is, with such hand selection discipline, I'm pretty sure they have software programs so why the heck do they stay at these Mako tables?
Is it to have raises respected?
When the fish leave, so do I. Does anybody know why the sharks just hang around with one another? Inertia? They just like quick hands? Am I missing something?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: What\'s Up with the Sharks?

I leave when that happens. It is sometimes good to stick around if the sharks are to your left, in which case you get the button or steal a lot. But this is only if there are a bunch of ATMs still there too. You don't want sharks on your left and your right.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:10 PM

Heh, I've wondered the same thing. I'll open up 4 tables, leave for a few minutes while pokertracker gathers data, come back and look at the tables and find nothing but tight players at one of them. What are they all doing there sparring off against each other when there are so many other tables full of loose bad players?

Probably they do not have pokertracker.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:10 PM

I get really tried of finding good tables. Once I get my 4 up I try to stay there until it gets shorthanded or really tight. Or I guess if I am getting outplayed.

When Im just playing 2 I try to keep good tables up.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody know why the sharks just hang around with one another? Inertia? They just like quick hands? Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's probably because they aren't "sharks," but "rocks." A VPIP of <15 is too tight, even if they're playing that occasional AA aggressively. They're probably clearing bonuses or have r*keb*ck, which is more important to them than risking their money on pocket 10s.

Get them on your right, never limp in, and steal their blinds like you're the neighborhood bully.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get them on your left, never limp in, and steal their blinds like you're the neighborhood bully.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP. (Never done that before, but now's as a good a time as any.)
Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 PM

Thank you, the point about rocks instead of sharks and your advice was excellent.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get them on your left, never limp in, and steal their blinds like you're the neighborhood bully.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP. (Never done that before, but now's as a good a time as any.)

[/ QUOTE ]
And you were correct to do so. In fact, I won't even edit my post so that yours makes sense in perpetuity. Also because the edit time has expired.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:57 PM

I used to get frustrated with that too, but then I realized I was falsely equating tight players with good ones. You're surely doing the same. Most of those "sharks" cannot recognize a resteal or an isolation raise if it hit them in the face.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:00 PM

(1) if your VP$IP is below 15 in micro, you're too tight. certainly not a shark

(2) sometimes it's not the total number of fish at a table, but your relative position to them.

good luck.