Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 09:10 PM

Default I\'d like to beat low limit stud (online)

I think I have figured out most of the quirks and keys to beating low limit holdem shorthanded consistently, but I have always liked stud and have never been successful at it. I currently have the bankroll to play 3/6 or even 5/10, but I want to start at 2/4 on Party (6 handed stud preferably) before moving up. So I come here to ask for help and what you all think are important pointers to beating low limit stud online.

As of now, I don't even have that firm a grip on stud starting hands, even after reading a few selections from various poker books (I doubt any of them would even pertain to the extreme fishiness of online play). My play probably tends to be on the tighter side in terms of 3rd street starting hands and getting to showdown. I imagine I need to loosen up considerably for a 6-max stud game.

I'd have to say my biggest gripe with stud is that 3rd street hands aren't as favored as preflop hands in hold'em. This translates to more suckouts than you would expect in a flop game. The fact that there are no community cards and 3 unknowns (after 7th street) makes it harder for me to put people on specific holdings. I often times don't know if I am value betting 7th street or spewing.

More experience is probably all I need, but the lack of a stat tracker such as PT makes reviewing play and deciding what needs to change come more slowly.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: I\'d like to beat low limit stud (online)

I would also like to beat low limit stud but hey! My life is awesome I cant have everything! lol

Post a lot of hands here. This is easily one of the best forums on this website. People are more helpful here than anywhere else....even if your a FEAKIN N00B WITH 60 POSTS! We will still help you out dude.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:22 PM

Read 7-card stud for the advanced player, it helped me more than anything else will.
Note the structure of the game. 2/4 on Party has real high antes...thus, you have to loosen up a lot.

Run a search for Pokertracker. There was a thread about it earlier this week.

Play hands. Post them here. Read the critiques. That helped me second most.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Note the structure of the game. 2/4 on Party has real high antes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...Not on the party poker I play on... .25 ante. 2/4 is perfect for a tighties like the poster.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Note the structure of the game. 2/4 on Party has real high antes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...Not on the party poker I play on... .25 ante. 2/4 is perfect for a tighties like the poster.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. My mistake. It's the 1/2 game with the real high ante.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:12 PM

Read a book thoroughly. The Roy West one is probably best to start with. Do what he says and you will beat the 2/4 and 3/6 games. People here don't like his book, but I read it, and it took me from being pretty hopeless to being able to win at 3/6 and 5/10. It goes into quite a lot of detail about what to do in most situations on each street. From what you say, you aren't yet ready for 7CSFAP, which is THE stud book, but assumes quite a lot of knowledge of the game.

One other thing - you said you thought you should play quite a lot looser playing 6 handed than in a full ring. This isn't correct because in stud there is less in the pot because its an ante game. With 6, I play the same hands as I do in a full ring.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:27 PM

For starting hands remember you want LIVE hands. Big pairs are good, small pairs with an A kicker are fine, live 3 flush is great multiway.

Straight draws=bad, dead flush draws=bad, small pairs no kicker=bad. Also when I first started playing I would get excited to see a hand like (AK)5 off suit or (AK)T these are crap.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Straight draws=bad

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless they're high and live...