Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 02:05 AM

Default First Post: Did I Play This Right?

Hi, I am new to the forums. I am playing $0.5/$1 right now so I will be posting hands here very often wondering what the best way would be to play it and why. Let me know if I am doing something wrong or if there is a better way to post hands that I am wondering about. Thanks. Here it is:

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.00 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.00 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (14.00 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.00 BB.
Results in white below:<font color="#FFFFFF">
MP2 has Ac Qs (a straight, ten to ace.)
Hero has Qh Js (two pairs, queens and jacks.)
MP2 wins 15.25 BB.
</font>

Did I play it right?
Old 10-05-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Re: First Post: Did I Play This Right?

fold preflop, call flop, cap turn, nice river.

Hi and welcome. First off, don't post results. You will get better answers that way. Secondly, try and put any reads and thought in your posts. You can edit the post and say what you were thinking when you limped utg, what your thoughts were with the check raise on the flop, and how you felt when he 3 bet you on the flop and turn. If you are using poker tracker, stat reads are OK, but thought reads are better. Like MP2 raises thin, or raises any 2, or only raises AA-JJ preflop.

Good luck,
Ben
Old 10-05-2005, 02:15 AM

Fold preflop. Limping QJs is okay, though (assuming a reasonably loose-passive table).

I don't get the flop check-raise. What were you trying to do there?

Turn and river are fine.

It's better if you don't post results.

Welcome to the board.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:19 AM

Welcome to the boards. This hand is actually pretty interesting for people who believe in not folding in big pots for one bet. Let's just pretend that you have Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and not Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for starters.

The flop is probably a check/call but there are some good reasons to check/raise it. I like just calling because there are very few hands that MP1 will call a bet with that will fold for two (unless he limped with a trey). The only hands that we want to go away are Qx (or Ax) and some other random hands like AJ and T9 and J9. He isn't going to throw away top pair or JT so don't even worry about that. You also have to consider that we only want him to fold Qx (or Ax) when we have the PFR beat (we want him to fold T9 no matter what). If the PFR has AK for example, we don't want the 3rd player to fold Q9. The only way we could overtake the AK and have him overtake us is when it comes a running Q-9. The pot is probably big enough to make a check/raise a small mistake here.

Turn is good. We have to call the 3-bet since AA or AK might still be possible. It isn't really looking good here though.

The river is a bitch since we now lose to AA/AK/KK/QQ/JJ/KQ. There is nothing that we can beat here. So even though you are getting 15:1 to call the river bet, it is still a fold iMO.

The preflop limp isn't so hot either, but I'm sure others will talk about that.

Drunk Brad
Old 10-05-2005, 02:23 AM

I fold that preflop UTG.

Don't like the flop C/R. I think I'd donkbet it and call a raise.

Turn I'd C/R. Well done.

I think a crying call is about standard there. You know you are beat by any ace.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:25 AM

I change my answer on the turn to cap.

We beat:

AA (6 ways)
AK (12 ways)
AQ (8 ways)

Beats us:

KQ (9 ways)
KK (3 ways)
QQ (1 way)

26-13. Easy cap. And if Villain is a little LAGgy, we can add TT/AJ/AT (edit: oops. We don't beat JJ.) to his range which we also beat.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I change my answer on the turn to cap.

We beat:

AA (6 ways)
AK (12 ways)
AQ (8 ways)

Beats us:

KQ (9 ways)
KK (3 ways)
QQ (1 way)

26-13. Easy cap. And if Villain is a little LAGgy, we can add TT/AJ/AT (edit: oops. We don't beat JJ.) to his range which we also beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

AA - 6
AK - 12

KK - 3
QQ - 1
KQ - 6 (3 kings, 2 queens)

AQ shouldn't even be counted here since he 3-bet the turn, so it really looks like 18 to 10 (and that's assuming he even 3-bets with the hands we're beating). he also has outs against us every time we're ahead, and we stand to lose two bets on the river if we cap and are behind and only win one when we're ahead, unless he will raise again with AA/AK. these are points to consider when debating whether or not to cap here.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

AA - 6
AK - 12

KK - 3
QQ - 1
KQ - 6 (3 kings, 2 queens)

AQ shouldn't even be counted here since he 3-bet the turn, so it really looks like 18 to 10 (and that's assuming he even 3-bets with the hands we're beating). he also has outs against us every time we're ahead, and we stand to lose two bets on the river if we cap and are behind and only win one when we're ahead, unless he will raise again with AA/AK. these are points to consider when debating whether or not to cap here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess including AQ was being results-oriented [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Brad's post got me thinking about how many outs Villain has if he has AA or AK. So maybe a better plan here is to just call the turn 3-bet and then bet/call or check/raise (trifecta!) a safe river?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:04 AM

why did you check raise the flop? I would have bet out for sure so maybe pfr could raise and protect for you. After that, I like the c/r on the turn. Just call the 3-bet. I think you can fold on the river because you beat nothing that he may have. ANy pf raise worthy 2 pair beats you, TPTK is now a straight, and a set still has u pwned. A call would be for splits or a bluff which is too unlikely to warrant it.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nice river.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Turn and river are fine

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think a crying call is about standard there. You know you are beat by any ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Are you sure?? Why????