Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 04:04 PM

Default how do you play connectors?

I decided to analize my stats. I've played about 15000 hands at party NL 25 6max, of course it's not huge sample.
I'm slightly loosing with connectors. Mainly folded after flop, turn. Big and middle connectors, such as T9+ gain me money. Small connectors - not.

How do you play them?
Preflop:

do you play them at all? From what possitions?
How many limpers needed to enter?
Do you attempt to steal blinds? What kind of connectors do you use?
What amount of raise do you call?

Postflop:
how do you play open-ended draw? Push?
do you play gutshot draw?
Pair + gutshot?
Fold if no flopped straight, flush, two pair?

What stats sample is enough to decide not to play particular hand?
Old 10-02-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: how do you play connectors?

[ QUOTE ]

What stats sample is enough to decide not to play particular hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not the person to answer your other questions. But this one I can answer:

It depends on the hand. AK is typically a lower variance hand than KK, for example, so you need less hands to judge your true win rate with it. But here's a crude way to tell the range of your win rate with a hand:

Note your average win/hand. Call this m.

Figure out the standard deviation of win/hand. Excel will do this for you or you can do it yourself. Subtract your win (or loss) on each actual hand from m and square the result, add this up for all actual hands, divide by the total number of hands, and take the square root of that.

Then divide the standard deviation by the square root of the number of hands. Call this y.

Your true win rate with the hand is very likely (roughly 95% likely, provided you have more than say 10 hands) to be in the range between m-2y and m+2y.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: how do you play connectors?

[ QUOTE ]

How do you play them?
Preflop:

[/ QUOTE ]

I only play them in late position, regardless of whether or not there are limpers behind me. I'll raise if there are 2 or fewer limpers to me (including if it's folded to me). If there are 3 or more limpers, I'll limp along.

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop:

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very situation dependent. If I raised pre-flop, I'm much more inclined to semi-bluff my draws, or simply continuation bet. If there were a bunch of limpers to me and I limped along and flopped a draw (only a straight or flush draw) I'm usually inclined to play it very passively since I didn't take up an aggressive position in the hand pre-flop. If I flop a big draw (pair+flush draw, OESFD) I'll bet or raise the flop with the intention of getting it all in right there.