Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Tarver-Jones 3

Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Tarver-Jones 3

Eh, I only saw the second one so my view is tainted, but Jones looked outclassed from the get-go. I'm rooting for whatever will get Roy Jones off of boxing broadcasts, HBO or otherwise.

(I'm more excited for Castillo-Corrales II).
Old 09-26-2005, 07:59 PM

Jones' defense has always relied on outstanding reflexes. He's gone from getting out of the way just in time to getting hit. His dad has come back to help him, so he's either going to have to change his defensive habits (unlikely) or blitz Tarver, which he never does.

I'd love it if Roy won, but I think Tarver in 7.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I only saw the second one so my view is tainted, but Jones looked outclassed from the get-go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Tarver landed 2 punches in the first round and 5 in the second. That's 7 total punches. Jones controlled the fight and the action up in the first round. In the second round nothing changed, tarver lulled/allowed roy to pop in and out and score, roy did so, peppering tarver. Then Roy popped in, missed with a right and Tarver, who had sorta ducked the punch, popped up and landed a perfect left. Not to say the fight wouldn't develop but roy was dominating the second fight, although that's arguably what tarver wanted him to do.

I'm a sucker. Roy was the most unique and captivating fighter I've ever seen in my lifetime, even though he was a boring boxer who fought boring fights (other than the destruction of Montell Griffin in the rematch).

But now his pre-fight persona is different, and his dad, the abusive man who spewed the violence roy so ironically shied away from as he ascended the boxing ranks, is now back in his corner. Dad's the one who blew the head off one of roy's prized pit bulls ten years ago. Maybe its just an HBO selling point, but the possibility of seeing roy fight with an anger and violence bent on physical harm as opposed to the nonviolent controlled "scoring" domination with which he relied on to become the greatest fighter of his generation is compelling.

But he's older and slower, and was seriously knocked out cold, scarily cold on the ground for minutes by glen johnson. can he physically and mentally recover from that concussive shock? does he still have ability to fight the "u can't touch me but I can score all day style", or can he find another way to beat a bigger, taller more confident man. Maybe its a like a car crash you can't help but look at, but I have to see the conclusion.

but the best fight is next weekend.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but the best fight is next weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-30-2005, 03:27 PM

I watch almost every fight. This will be no exception. I think Roy Jones gets [censored] killed. But I am rooting for him. He has just looked so old lately.

Anyone else think boxing is due for a nice rush in popularity?

Note: My roommate played 30/60 with Tarver at the Taj Mahal earlier this year. Said he wasn't that bad.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Roy Jones gets [censored] killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else think boxing is due for a nice rush in popularity?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still love boxing, but the UFC is beginning to siphon off more and more of my enthusiasm for it.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:14 PM

There are scant historic omens which adumbrate a Jones victory, which is sad, as he outclasses Tarver in his prime. I suspect we see one of the most talented athletes of the past 100 years get beatup pretty badly tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
adumbrate

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-01-2005, 09:57 PM

I'm really looking forward to this. Watched the Countdown to Jones-Tarver 3 HBO special and enjoyed it, and the Beyond the Glory special on Jones, and have a bunch of his fights.

I think that going through massive weight gain and loss like Jones did is extremely hard on the body and can have lasting negative repercussions. I wouldn't be surprised if he's still not over them.

It's a bummer that if Roy loses again, especially if he gets knocked out, it will permanently tarnish his reputation. He deserves better than that, much better. A Jones in his prime would probably have wiped the floor with Tarver.

Frankly, I'm rooting for Jones, if only because I don't want to hear people saying, as they do so often about boxers as soon as they get beaten, "Eh, he wasn't that good." Jones really was that good, and proved it for many years.