Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Too weak/tight? AQs in BB vs. a steal.

.50/$1 NL. Both I and the pf raiser have about $100.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in BB. One player has posted in the cutoff. It folds around. CO checks, button makes it $4 to go.

Now, I figure I probably have a better hand than he does, but I decide not to come over the top. I figure it will cost me $12 to re-raise, and another $18 to make a continuation bet, and I don't want to piss away 1/3 of my stack if I miss the flop and he hits. Also, if I flop an Ace, and he has AK, I would be too invested in the pot to be able to get away.

The flop is K, rag, rag, with 2 spades and a club. I figure he might have hit the flop, so I check. He bets $10 and I fold.

Should I have been more aggressive?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Too weak/tight? AQs in BB vs. a steal.

No, I like calling preflop and check/folding when you miss.

I think it's a mistake to invest a good portion of your stack "protecting" your 1$ Big Blind. You played it fine.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:26 PM

i'd probably play the same....i find not getting to aggro in the blinds is a good idea...plus if you hit the flop you have some deception value here.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.50/$1 NL. Both I and the pf raiser have about $100.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in BB. One player has posted in the cutoff. It folds around. CO checks, button makes it $4 to go.

Now, I figure I probably have a better hand than he does, but I decide not to come over the top. I figure it will cost me $12 to re-raise, and another $18 to make a continuation bet, and I don't want to piss away 1/3 of my stack if I miss the flop and he hits. Also, if I flop an Ace, and he has AK, I would be too invested in the pot to be able to get away.

The flop is K, rag, rag, with 2 spades and a club. I figure he might have hit the flop, so I check. He bets $10 and I fold.

Should I have been more aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't answer without knowing button's raising frequency in that position.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:35 PM

That's an insta-raise if I feel he's stealing. If I know for sure, I don't even need the A.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's an insta-raise if I feel he's stealing. If I know for sure, I don't even need the A.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.