Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 10:39 AM

Default A A-hand.

Villian is 19/1.5 after 250 hands. I haven't really noticed him post flop. Hasn't gotten out of line. About avererage aggression post-flop. It took him quite a long time to call pre-flop. Don't know if it matters.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter

MP1 ($100.35)
MP2 ($121.85)
CO ($19.95)
Button ($92)
SB ($103.12)
BB ($25.85)
UTG ($83.50)
Hero ($124.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, MP1 calls $5, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $4.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($16) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, MP1 calls $15, SB folds.

Turn: ($46) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero checks, MP1 bets $30, hero goes all in $80.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: A A-hand.

I bet $50 on the turn. You don't want to give a free card with this board.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:50 AM

With his stats, I find it unlikely he has a drawing hand to begin with and I find it unlikely he is the kind of player that would chase.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:55 AM

He only had $50 left after his turn bet so I say his [and your] all-in bets are inevitable.

I don't see how you can get away from this hand.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Pocket Jacks are unlikely since he hesitated to call your pre-flop bet (most people instant call with jacks hoping to land a set).
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7's are more likely than jacks, but not very likely.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Pocket 10's...nah, he would have dropped these on the flop.
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Forget J-10, there is no way he has that hand.

I'm thinking he was loosening-up (out of boredome) and was playing AJ.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:02 AM

I will do it often especially against a player who could be drawing and will often bet his draw if checked to. If you think your opponent has a made hand more often than not you have to put him on a hand range with he could call with preflop, and its closer imo.

Since he is tight a pocket pair seem to be the most likely hand for him as AK and AQ are not likely with the action. So the hands he could have that you beat and that he could bet that way are QQ, AJ, KJ and QJ, but I dont think he would call a raise very often with the last two hands. I dont know, its a tough one against someone you think is tight and passive.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Since he is tight a pocket pair seem to be the most likely hand for him as AK and AQ are not likely with the action. So the hands he could have that you beat and that he could bet that way are QQ, AJ, KJ and QJ, but I dont think he would call a raise very often with the last two hands. I dont know, its a tough one against someone you think is tight and passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't exclude K K from his range either.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't exclude K K from his range either.

[/ QUOTE ]

But would you hesitate pre-flop with Kings?
And wouldn't you raise the flop bet with Kings or Queens?
I don't think he has this hand unless he is extremely passive.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I think he should bet half pot turn, hes not going to raise with less but he might call with less, giving Kongo a chance to get away.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I think he should bet half pot turn, hes not going to raise with less but he might call with less, giving Kongo a chance to get away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, chances are he might call even if he has a set. Note though, his stats didn't say he was super-passive post-flop. Just ordinarily passive.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with you. I thought Kongo was asking whether his all-in play on the turn was a good one AFTER the check and in context of the player's pre-flop and flop call. (I thought it was)

But I would have preferred leading with 1/2 pot bet on the turn.

If the player would have raised me all-in, I would probably drop it.
If he calls...I would check the river and call a reasonable bet. (A blocking bet on the river is an option, but I wouldn't go there)