Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Noises drive me crazy - Soft Sound Sensitivity Syndrome

Inspired by El D's OCD thread...

There are many noises that drive me crazy.
Most people have a cringing reaction to fingernails on a blackboard. I have a much longer list of noises that cause me to react the same way.

The noises that bother me the most are mouth-related noises. I cannot stand to hear people eat or chew or slurp.
It causes me to become very angry. I get quiet and cannot concentrate on anything except the offending sound.

There is a woman at my work who chews gum all day every day.
I can hear her chewing, clicking this gum. It's not loud popping, just soft clicking noise. I have fantsies of approaching her and cussing her out, of reaching into her mouth, pulling the gum out and mashing it into her hair.

I cannot concentrate. I cannot work. I must put on my headphones and turn up my music very loud if I have any hope of getting anything done in the office.

This problem has ruined many dinners for me. If I can hear the people eating, slurping, SCRAPING THEIR FORKS AGAINST THEIR TEETH...I shut down. I will not talk. I cannot hold a conversation. I just feel angry. But I cannot say anything to the "offenders", because I know it is my problem, and 95% of the population would have to change the way they eat to make me feel at ease.

After searching the intarweb, I have found that I am not alone (although I have never met another person in "real life" who suffers from this).

Here is an exact description of what I have.

This is perfectly worded:
[ QUOTE ]
Emotional reactions are closely related to this syndrome: victims may cry, yell, strike out, retreat, scream, withdraw, abuse others verbally or physically, in an effort to remove the negative stimulation. One patient described these very soft sounds as akin to 'fingernails on a million blackboards'. There is an irresistable urge to remove oneself.

[/ QUOTE ]
I never cry or yell or strike, but I always have strong visual fantasies of doing so.

Here is a brief list of noises that I cannot be around:
Chewing
Swallowing
Drinking, slurping
Teeth on metal (forks, spoons)
Any lip smaking.
Brushes (Such as sweeping the floor. Brushing my teeth every day is nearly impossible).
Sniffing (Blow your [censored] nose people!)
Finger nail biting.

Anybody else?