Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 07:52 PM

Default This may be a dumb question...

... but for the life of me I cannot find any expectation tables or strategy charts for a flashing dealer (i.e. know the hole card)? I am sure I had that information somewhere, but for the life of me, I cannot find any info on that--not that I need it at the moment...

As a side note--what software does this? I have Wong/Smith's PBA which has been more than wonderful to me over the past five or six years, but I'm still thinking of picking up some new software. Any suggestions.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Zweikartenspiel

Check out the game of zweikartenspiel as proposed by Richard Epstein in "The Theory of Gambling and Statistical Logic".
Old 09-27-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: This may be a dumb question...

Uston's "Million Dollar Blackjack" covers dealers showing their hole cards. I don't know if this book is still in print. If you are lucky enough to run into this situation, keep in mind that you may want to play a sub-optimal strategy for cover purposes. Hitting a hard 19 when the dealer has 20 is likely to attract attention, as is splitting 10's, doubling 6, etc. Note that zeicartenspiel, ADA double exposure is not quite the same, because the dealeer wins ties in that game. However, the adjustment is simple: Stand instead of hitting if you are tied with a dealer pat hand.

Even with a sub-optimal cover strategy, a known dealer hole card gives you a big advantage. However, the risk is that the security folks may suspect you of colluding with the dealer if they catch on.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:14 PM

Wong's Professional Blackjack also has a section on Double Exposure, not only basic strategy but I also think the matrices for adjusting for the count.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:11 AM

I will look into the Uston book--I should have read Uston by now, but I jsut haven't. I know that's horrible for a blackjack player, but oh well. I've also been meaningto get the Epstien book, as well as the Finding the Edge book.

Anyways, some of you talked about double exposure or games where the dealer wins ties--I'm not talkinga bout those, I mean peaking at teh hole card when youa ren't suppsoed to see it. But like you all mentioned, that could be dangerous, and obviously surrendering or hitting a 19 might look very awkward. But having an EV table would really be helpful in determining what plays I can not make obvious and still be very profitable on.

Anyways, thank you all for the input.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But like you all mentioned, that could be dangerous, and obviously surrendering or hitting a 19 might look very awkward. But having an EV table would really be helpful in determining what plays I can not make obvious and still be very profitable

[/ QUOTE ]
I played the Mapes in Reno 27+ yrs ago, and our players read every hole card. We made crazy plays - splitting any pair (sometimes 5's) and such -- the trick was knowing when you were being monitored. I can tell you that with todays tech -- you can be monitored anytime/always. You need a BP who can handle some booze and still perform to convince GOD it's just luck. First, know your EVs -- second, understand tourist play -- third ...

It's a lot like playing poker ... EV is perception ...