Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 04:48 PM

Default 3-bet and fold to a cap?

Villain is a 22.5/14/2 TAG over about 750 datamined hands. At the table he wasn't getting out of line, and I hadn't played any notable hands against him. In fact, we weren't often in a hand together since we'd take turns playing against the LAG in the SB.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="green">Hero 3-bets?</font>

My plan here is to 3-bet and fold to a cap. If villain is ahead I'm drawing to 2 or 3 outs, and I can't see him capping a worse hand. Is this a good line? Why or why not? If it isn't, what line is better?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: 3-bet and fold to a cap?

Well my default line here is to call down. It may not be fancy but it seems to work out OK.

-Jason
Old 09-27-2005, 04:52 PM

I call down. Once in awhile you will catch your Queen on the river. Plus sometimes you will 3-bet and he will call with a draw and then bet into you on the river when he hits.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:54 PM

just to add to the others.
A great benefit of calling down is he probably continues to bluff if he is bluffing and will fold if you 3 bet.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:57 PM

call down..it's only one more bet than your raising stradegy and you see the show down. You've got top pair and a strong kicker. I dunno how many hands a tag calls preflop with that contain a nine.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:09 PM

not exactly the same but similar prinicples

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...amp;PHPSESSID=

ps...you clever types...how to I make that say something like "click this link" and then have the url underneath it...because I wanna look cool
Old 09-27-2005, 05:17 PM

I just found a similar hand in the archives.

There is a flush draw he could be betting, and fewer overcards to worry about, and I could have more outs against his range. Despite aflaba's strong argument I think calling is a little bit better, though it's close and based on information we can't reliably know (villain's likelihood of playing a draw this way and bluffing on the river). Against a villain who will never bluff the river and won't cap with a worse hand then 3-bet/folding is a better line, but TAGs like to get tricky so seeing a showdown and gaining the value of my extra outs is the best move. I also forgot about hidden outs against AQ (I have 4.5 outs against this likely holding), and having 4 outs against 22. He might also check/raise with a pocket pair worse than queens up and bet that again on the river (though I don't expect he'd bet a missed flush again unless he made any pair with it). Thanks for the analysis: I agree that calling down is better.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:20 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
not exactly the same but similar prinicples

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...amp;PHPSESSID=

ps...you clever types...how to I make that say something like "click this link" and then have the url underneath it...because I wanna look cool

[/ QUOTE ]
Like this:
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>My favourite records label.</pre><hr />My favourite records label.

I hope there's still time to edit.