Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Last time was perfect, what to do now?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

MP ($250.73)
Button ($121.60)
SB ($194.50)
Hero ($83.35)
UTG ($196.85)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, MP calls $5, Button folds.

Flop: ($13.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, MP calls $9.

Turn: ($31.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, MP calls $20.

River: ($71.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $30</font>, Hero calls $30.

Final Pot: $131.50

Villain had Jh7h.

Next hand few rounds later:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

MP ($220.63)
Button ($116.90)
SB ($157.55)
Hero ($146.20)
UTG ($199.40)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, MP calls $3.

Flop: ($8.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, MP calls $6.

Turn: ($20.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, MP calls $10.

River: ($40.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $40</font>, Hero ?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Last time was perfect, what to do now?

Pot it on the turn and think hard about what it means that he bet the pot this time. I'd be more inclined to fold in your position.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:23 AM

I've been thinking about river bets lately. I called and lost this hand. Sad thing was that he rivered me.

It seems that a stereotypic 100 NL player either overbets the pot on river or puts in a quarter to a half pot bet if "weak". 1 or 2/3-pot sized bets are bet more for value. Villain showed 94 offsuit. Should have pot the turn... I was confused with this hand because he had shown so incredible holdings before that I wasn't sure if he wasn't betting value with A2 or whatever.

Maybe I should've bet a blocking bet on river. Dunno. One of the greatest mistakes that players make at this level is being overly aggressive. Inducing bluffs on the river is very easy. Overall these kind of calls are +EV for me and I make them on almost every session.

The situations described are very marginal and very read dependent. By posting these kind of situations I want to know if there is any information "hidden" from myself. If some experienced player came to say to me that he has played 2 million hands of 100 NL and came to conclusion that 93% of times this kind of action (river bet, ...) indicates that I'm beat I'd face tough decisions much more seldom than I do today.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:40 AM

Funny, recently plugged a big leak in my game. Namely, the loose calls. Calling the river too often and calling raises too often.

There are definately times where you want to call the river, and times you might want to blockbet (although it's debated).

Given the way the previous hand went, I would say it's better not to blockbet. He'll fold, or call/raise when you are beat. Furthermore, if you check you know he is likely to bluff. So it's definately better EV to bet/bet/checkcall, than to bet/bet/blockbet against this opponent. Especially how none of the draws landed (i disregard the runner runner there).

You should notice however that is betting the pot on that last hand, whereas he bluffed only half the pot before. What does that mean?