Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2003, 03:44 AM

Default WSOP- supersatellite

I was in a WSOP supersatellite no limit holdem game with 80 players left. The three rebuy periods were almost up with everyone at my table left with around $300-$500 in chips. The final add on was $200 for $200 real money. I was on the button with A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . Blinds were 25/50. The whole table folded except for one limper in middle position. I raised $75. The small blind (a WSOP bracelet holder) went all in. The BB folded. He was obviously putting me on a decision. I debated for a bit and decided that with my position and a decent hand as well as needing to double up (I was low on money for an additional add on) I should call all-in as well.
He had AJ offsuit. Of course the board flopped AJ4(one heart), turn was a 6(a heart), and the river was another Ace giving me a set of aces and no flush but him Aces-full. I was out.

My question: should I have waited for a better hand or not have put in the original $75 in the first place setting me up for the all in decision (other guys had been buying the blinds for $50-75 in previous hands). Or should I have folded after his all-in bet and then been severely shortstacked thereafter?

Any advice appreciated! [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Re: WSOP- supersatellite

Hard to say without knowing your chip total compared to the SB/limper. A raise of 75 when the blinds are 25-50 and there is a limper is awfully low. Depending on the limper I might just muck or depending on your chip count I might go all-in. I don't normally raise with A9s unless it as a steal. With a limper in it lessens the likelyhood of having a successful steal.

Ken Poklitar
Old 05-14-2003, 10:03 AM

Default Re: WSOP- supersatellite

A $75 dollar raise with 25/50 blinds isn't much and if you are worried about being shortstacked after making that raise and are gonna call anyway, then I think you were better off pushing all-in to begin with and putting the blind to the decision with his AJ.

Also, I'm a bit confused why position is part of your thinking. The benefit of position it that it helps you make better decisions on later streets, but in the case of being all-in you won't be making any of those decisions.