Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Protecting your hand (ATo in CO)

I've been trying to apply the concepts from SSH, and I figured this might be a good hand to see if I was getting it right.

Since it got checked to me on the flop and the button was raising a lot of hands, I figured I was probably ahead there. Also, I was hoping that the button would raise (whether or not he had a hand) to drive out the other two guys. It didn't end up working like that though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

On the flop and turn I have a hard time telling whether my hand is good or not. On the river the pot is big but I have a mediocre hand with an unknown player waking up and betting, and the button still to act behind me. I figure my hand is no good.

Comments on all streets are appreciated, but I'm interested to see if I'm applying the "protecting your hand" concept properly. Should I have tried to protect again on the turn?

Button is v:37%/PF:23%/AF:1.1 (240 hands)
UTG is V:69%/PF:0%/AF:0.25 (66 hands)
No reads on MP3.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero folds, Button calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB
Old 09-24-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Protecting your hand (ATo in CO)

A button with those stats is not raising a hand you beat on the flop. He raises a lot preflop, but not post. You should check and call the flop.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:57 PM

i'm not sure i follow your reasoning on the flop donk bet.

at first glance it doesn't seem you've got enough outs to call the turn.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A button with those stats is not raising a hand you beat on the flop. He raises a lot preflop, but not post. You should check and call the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

240 hands is not near enough to give an accurate indication of AF.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How aggressive does the button need to be before he starts raising hands that I beat? How many hands do I need on someone before their AF starts to be accurate?

It now seems like all I was doing in this hand was helping the button protect his hand at my own expense.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not sure i follow your reasoning on the flop donk bet.

at first glance it doesn't seem you've got enough outs to call the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

His pot odds are 11.75:1 when it gets to him on the turn. He's got 4 clean outs to improve. A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I think he has a call here.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's got 4 clean outs to improve. A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

missed one. I think these 5 outs need to be discounted because we're not drawing to the nuts or even close - we're worried about of AJ/KQ, or the less likely [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flush or set. implied odds when you hit might easily cancel this out. not sure of the math on this one.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:28 PM

Anyone else prefer raising pre-flop to calling?

UTG seems fishy and MP3 could easily have a hand we beat.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His pot odds are 11.75:1 when it gets to him on the turn. He's got 4 clean outs to improve. A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
The A outs are not clean.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No reads on MP3.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else prefer raising pre-flop to calling?

UTG seems fishy and MP3 could easily have a hand we beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
I fold before I raise vs. an unknown.