Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Legal vs. Illegal Poker Aids

I have been reading a lot recently about the various ways that people "cheat" online by using software tools and online databases. I personally would like to run as little risk as possible of PartyPoker and other sites confiscating my account.

I am hoping that this thread might act as a clear pointer for any newbies out there who wonder which software packages they can use, and which they should not due to the terms and conditions of poker websites.

I believe that some tools are okay to use while not playing, but illegal to use while at a table.

Hopefully a more useful format will arise, but here's my contribution. Please correct me or share your opinions. Please also add any major tools that I have omitted.

Let's keep this about legal, not moral or ethical. Just what will get your account suspended/closed.

Poker Tracker: OK to use anytime.

PokerOffice: OK anytime.

PokerOffice Live Tracker: OK offline. Online?

SnG PowerTools: OK offline. Online?

PlayerAce HU (PA-HUD): OK anytime.

Playerview: OK anytime.

Poker Stove: OK offline.

GameTimePlus (GT+): OK anytime.

PokerProphecy.com: OK offline. Online use is not allowed somehow, although it is unclear if it is the use of, or the storing of the database information within player notes that is forbidden.

Anyone else want to share?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Legal vs. Illegal Poker Aids

Found some more info, within this forum:

PokerEdge: Not allowed.

Starspy: Not allowed.

and the following message by TheNoocH:

"I was curious so i looked on Poker Stars...this is what i found from the poker stars prohibited program faq (note: this is only a portion of the whole faq)

http://www.pokerstars.com/prohibited_programs.html

Q. In general, what kind of programs are acceptable?

A.

1. Programs (or charts) that simply tell you odds, starting hand recommendations, etc.
2. Programs that profile your opponents, but make use of only information which you have accumulated by your own play.

Q. Why is this an issue?

A. Consider this: you are playing at a six-person table and the other five players at that table are using a shared database program. After each hand, they are able to see what cards every other player (except you) had. Do you want to play at that table?

Q. Can you give me a list of acceptable programs?

A. This is a list of programs that we are aware of and permit:

1. GameTime+
2. Holdem Inspector
3. PokerAce Heads Up
4. PokerOffice
5. PokerTracker
6. PokerWeapon
7. Texas Calculatem

Q. In general, what kinds of programs are prohibited?

A.

1. Any program that shares hole card data with other players or programs is colluding, and is prohibited.
2. Any program that works off of a central database of player profiles is prohibited.
3. Any program that plays without human intervention (a "bot") or reduces the requirement of a human playing. For instance, an "auto-folder" is prohibited.

Q. Can you give me a list of programs which are prohibited?

A. This is a list of programs that we are aware of and prohibit:

1. PokerEdge
2. PokerProphecy
3. StarSpy
4. WinHoldem

Q. There's a program I'd like to use, but it's not on either list. Now what?

A. Please send an email to support@pokerstars.com with all the information you have about that program. Please include a URL to a website about that program if at all possible. We will review the program and let you know if it's permitted or not.

Q. What steps are you going to take to prevent players from using prohibited programs?

A. We are going to look to see if any of those programs is running on a player's computer. If we find one of the prohibited programs, we will alert the player that he is running a prohibited program and tell him what the program is. We will ask that he stop running the program immediately. If he complies, fine. If not, then we will prevent the PokerStars client from running on his computer. "
Old 09-26-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Legal vs. Illegal Poker Aids

[ QUOTE ]
Poker Aids

[/ QUOTE ]