Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 02:38 AM

Default FPS? Turn-raising with huge flop equity.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (13 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB

When I hit a set on the flop, I generally raise it. Here, I reasoned I was in the perfect situation to wait for the turn:

1) The board is highly uncoordinated. This means someone betting probably has a pair of something (probably someone with top-pair) and not just a draw. Same with many of the callers.

2) The bet came from the far left and with me on the button, I could easily trap everyone for more bets on the turn. If I raised on the flop, I'd probably scare the loose-passives into check-calling the turn. Miller and Sklansky even say it's okay to wait for the turn if you're NEAR CERTAIN raising the flop with your huge edge would lead to everyone checking the turn. It's more profitable to collect an extra BB from each player than an extra SB, right?

3) No one raised pre-flop, so it's unlikely someone has a strong hand like TPGK.

Do I have a case of Fancy Play Syndrome by occasionally calling the flop and raising the turn in this situation? Or is my approach reasonable?
Old 09-26-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: FPS? Turn-raising with huge flop equity.

Looks fine to me.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:06 AM

This might be one of the rare instances in which a slowplay is correct. If you think that people will call your turn raise, then by all means - slowplay on this flop. Nice hand.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:36 AM

Knowing my luck, when I try this it's 100% someone is holding 56. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Nice hand.[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]