Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Help me with re-stealing

One concept I am having difficulty incorporating into my game is re-stealing.

For example, suppose I have KTo in the SB with 15-20 BB in my stack. The button or cutoff raises. I will fold. It just seems to me like every time I re-raise in this situation, I get called by a better hand. Even if the pf raiser doesn't have a better hand, the BB often does.

Honestly, I don't know how to re-steal, or when I should be trying to do it. Yet I hear it mentioned all the time, like you can't play good tournament poker unless you know how to do this. If anyone can school me on the fundamentals of re-stealing, or even tell me where I can read up on it, I would really appreciate it.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Help me with re-stealing

personally, i find resteals not particularly useful unless you really use it either sparcely, or you know exactly what you're doing. its really not worth half 3-4 bb ontop of the bet for half a bb. but thats just me.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:02 PM

The only time I re-steal is when it's late into the tourney, blinds are huge, and I'm at least 85% sure that my opponent is going for a steal. Even then, I only do it with a decent hand, like KT suited.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:12 PM

Due to the fact that restealing is such a redependant play, it is something that isnt a teachable skill. My advice is to pay close attention, and with time, you will begin to realize who is of the larcenous type, and who is genuinely strong.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Due to the fact that restealing is such a redependant play, it is something that isnt a teachable skill. My advice is to pay close attention, and with time, you will begin to realize who is of the larcenous type, and who is genuinely strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, even if I know them to be the larcenous type, I'm afraid to play back bacause I figure this time they might have a hand. It's worse in the SB than in the BB, because I'm also worried that BB might have something.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, even if I know them to be the larcenous type, I'm afraid to play back bacause I figure this time they might have a hand. It's worse in the SB than in the BB, because I'm also worried that BB might have something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker + Fear = bad.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker + Fear = bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, your reasoning for not liking resteals is very specious.

make estimates for what % or what range he steals with, what he calls your push with, and how you fare vs. that range, then do some math. try out a few examples away from the table to get a better idea b/c its tough to do it on the spot when you have < 1 minute to make a decision