Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 01:17 AM

Default I cant call this river, Right?

No stats on, villan however i havent seen him get out of line, he has only been on the table about 20 hands

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (9.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12.16 BB
Old 09-26-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: I cant call this river, Right?

Nope. Good fold.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nope. Good fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

After 20 hands with the villain? Could you elaborate why we're sure enough to fold here?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:56 AM

IMHO, this is textbook AK. I'm not sure what else you could put him on.

When he raises the river, I don't see how your one-pair is any good.

I guess you could look him up once, but I think your fold was definitely justified.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:05 AM

Because it's always AK or a weird set. The board is barren and Villain's play tells you he made a better hand.

The flop raise is an overcard/pair protection raise, and the subsequent slowdown is an underpair/AK. When the 3-straight falls and he raises it's over.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:50 AM

In all likelihood, you just got outdrawn by AK or even TT, but I probably would have paid off.

I think Villain will have AQ/KQ or even something worse, on occasion. Some players love to raise the river, and we have TPTK and only a sketchy read.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:19 AM

I'd pay it off with no read...about 10% of the time, better is making a move. 10%-same AQ. 80%-you're beat.

I would've check/called that river. (I have trouble thinking of a pre-flop raising hand I can value bet against here.) But, I play too weak on the river.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd pay it off with no read...about 10% of the time, better is making a move. 10%-same AQ. 80%-you're beat.

I would've check/called that river. (I have trouble thinking of a pre-flop raising hand I can value bet against here.) But, I play too weak on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, not much value in betting here, except for him having like KQ, and in that case we will probably induce a bet from him if we check anyway.

After betting, I would probably have a hard time calling, there's not many hands we beat; but with the big pot we don't have to be right that often for a call to be correct. Personally, I would probably fold it, but a call is probably correct, and if it's not it's probably marginal and at least you get to see his cards.

Did I mention I like the word 'probably'? Probably. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 05:25 AM

Good fold, but calling isn't terrible either vs an unknown.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:25 AM

what about check/calling that river?