Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 06:02 PM

Default The Joke is in your Hand.

I have tried to write this post for two hours and I have deleted it 4 times. I just do not know how to not bitch over variance when that is what I DO NOT UNDERSTAND AND DON'T SEEM TO BE ABLE TO ADJUST TO.

Yesterday I had a session where I won 25BB. Today I play and loose 25 then I quit before I tilt and then come back to the game and loose 50. I am unable to beat tables where there are more than one or two variance jockys playing any two cards to the river. I tighten up and toss all crap. I am even using charts made from Getting Started and play by them. If I get bored and want to play QTo I check the chart and follow it. I am not playing to many hands in fact I might be playing to few. One of the posters here is looking at hands for me and has said that I am playing too loose. This is why I have gotten the charts back out and I am following them religiously.

I really do not believe that I suck as bad as I am sucking now. It is awful! My bad session beat is summarized in white below, this is not a blow by blow account it is just a summary of how the whole session went: <font color="white">I am holding wired aces, the flop comes and it is: "don't look here the joke is in your hand" (stolen from above numerous public urinals).</font>

I have not seen 2+2 work for me on these hyperloose tables. For me it is a constant failure if I am playing more than one or two loose players. I find that it works great when you play at a table with out these hyperloose players. The dark side is calling me. I want to go purchase Helmouth books. Someone save me. Someone toss me a life preserver!

This is a humble request to sweat one or more of you guys. I really do believe that 2+2 is the way to go I just feel so let down by it right now that I need to see it work. I am willing to do anything to make this work even installing some type of AOL software. If any of you would be interested in assisting me please PM me. I am available most mornings and evenings.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ter/MyFlop.jpg
Old 09-24-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: The Joke is in your Hand.

Feel your pain, Infact when clearing paradise bonus recently i was down to $0 profit and $20 extra to clear.

Paradise tables were full of psychos and the odd tag. I seemed to play fine.

My luck changed and i hit up $50(Two tabling) in 4hands.

Varience is a bugger, but its your mind tricking you. When it happens during normal games you dont realsie. You also probably love running hot even though you may feel you didn't deserve it.

Because running hot = $$$$ and you like $$$$ you shrugit off and smile.

When the oppisite happens and you get bad flops/Beats/Cold cards... you rememberit.

Take a break, Hey even quit for the night.

Good luck, Dont play psycho because your angry.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:43 PM

There is a hell of a lot more to winning at poker than properly playing the first two cards. That's the easy part.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:47 PM

What limit? What sites?

Im only a newbie(Confused newbie if you see my sexy custom title [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

play .50/1 though at stars here!

Dunno if i could teach anyone much LOL, I SUCK.(Ok ive won over time, but i still suck Vs most of the others!).
Old 09-25-2005, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the comments Poker. One thing though, I may be disapointed and suicidal but I am not in pain, lol. I was however going to the tilt side and so I quit. I am disapointed that I can not tell if I am playing well, average, or bad. I can tell when the cards run well. I usually win when they do but not always because they can run well for others at the same time. If I get crap cards I can sometimes win (not often) and usually don't do well. I have not been grading myself by the cards that I get on a rush or cheese for a week. To night I played a live game for $10 buy in. There were ten of us. First hand I had wired 5s on the button. A reasonable bet and a five on the flop gave me a set and no paint on the flop. I made another reasonable bet and then one of the young guns put me all in. He will play A2o all in so I called and the river made him a straight. I think I played this hand well. I even gave him info about me that I would go head to toe with him. I rebought and had the smallest stack for a long time. I hit some cards and bang I start to raise my pile of chips. I keep doing this with strong hands untill I have the chips to play with some authority. Then in a big pot with a big side pot I won one to a fold and mucked my hand and pulled it back out appoligizing for my carelessness. Well I beat the one pot but the other guy in the hand insisted that the cards were dead so I gave him the pot. Now I was the idiot that mucked a winning hand. I then proceded to take that pot back made him rebuy and took that too as well as several other players. I took aprox 250 BB from the table because I applied everything that Ed Miller, et al have written.

I usually break a bit ahead in these games. Because I beat this game I have no illusions that I am a great player that can do this anytime I want. The difference in the live games I play at seems to be the extra info you get on the players. The internet game is nothing like real poker. I can not watch Jim8453 talk to his wife when he wants to disappear from the room, So there is just so much more info available in a live game that a internet game. I can read a live game but I can not read the players in a internet game.

Thanks for the info and good luck to you
Old 09-25-2005, 07:07 AM

Varience happens. If your current downswing is making poker unenjoyable stop playing for a while, cruise the boards or read a poker book. Or re-read a chapter. I hate variance too, and when I get frustrated I do take a week off, else tilt.

Fortunately variance works both ways (I'm up 100 BB in the last 500 hands - now variance is a beautiful thing. May the upswing last forever....)
Old 09-25-2005, 07:35 AM

Everyone's a good player when they're winning. It's when you're losing that you find out how good you really are. I go into every session I play without hope. The cards fall and I make the best play that I think I can at the time. If I feel as if I'm getting the worst of it - I quit.

I have a friend who is having a 25K breakeven stretch at 15/30. He is starting to blame his bad run on party being rigged and the bad players sucking out on him. I watched him play the other night. Six months ago he was a very dangerous TAG. Now he's turned into a semi-loose passive player. He is resigned to being sucked out on. He is missing value bets everywhere. He is just happy to get to a showdown and win a hand. My opinion of him as regards to poker has gone down as a result. I have tried to help him but he won't listen. I don't know if a simple run of good cards will pull him out of this mental and emotional slump.

I saw that you're tightening up your starting hands whihc is fine. But I think that the hardest thing to contimue doing when you're in a slump is to keep playing aggressively postflop. You have to pound those pots and pound those players. Don't play scared or resigned to being sucked out on. Play strong.