Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Is a Final Table push here unwarranted?

I'm a MTT newbie and don't seem to play the final tables well...I've made 4 of them in the last month, playing casually when I can on PokerStars but have gone out fourth three times and third once. Did I overplay this or do you like my move?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t16000 (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t1143788)
Button (t387932)
Hero (t190115)
BB (t148665)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t16000, Button calls t16000, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t189315</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls t173315, Button folds.

Flop: (t397030) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t397030) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t397030) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t397030
Old 09-22-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Is a Final Table push here unwarranted?

4 handed w/ 11BB's i push that every time... i think
Old 09-22-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 handed w/ 11BB's i push that every time... i think

[/ QUOTE ]

Do those raises scare you at all? I mean 2 limps in front. If they had folded I push this every day and twice on Sunday against the BB.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:45 PM

wow, see what two hours of sleep gets you? i could have swore i read you were the first to enter the pot.

Hrm.. i probably still push, but i'm much less happy about it, and can probably find a fold every once in a while.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:50 PM

I've got you doubled up with four hours of sleep. I'm going to have to look up Harrington and see what he says but I guess KJ isn't too bad 4 handed. I know I'm going to play it. Possibly making a raise to 45,000 would give me someway out if the flop looked extra bad....which I wouldn't say you could characterize this flop as, if it's just heads up against a caller.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:52 PM

the most important factor to consider is how often pots have been limped, especially 4-handed. i know from my FT experiences, limping is a rarity, and usually means a very large hand. there's nothing wrong w/ either completing or folding here and looking to pick up pots that haven't been opened yet
Old 09-22-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a MTT newbie and don't seem to play the final tables well...I've made 4 of them in the last month

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not that much of a newb. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think I find a fold here as well. Two players already told you they semi-like their hands. You have 11BBs. I think you have time to find a better hand to do this on (unless the blinds were going up soon).
Old 09-22-2005, 02:07 PM

I wouldn't fold, I would complete. Huge stack UTG limp worrries me but it depends how much limping has been going on and limp/calling or limp/reraising
Old 09-22-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the most important factor to consider is how often pots have been limped, especially 4-handed. i know from my FT experiences, limping is a rarity, and usually means a very large hand. there's nothing wrong w/ either completing or folding here and looking to pick up pots that haven't been opened yet

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a $2 tourney. Guys have limped throughout this final table, so my stealing has rarely worked, when I've tried it. That's why I barely tried getting fancy throughout this tournament.

The big stack seemed to play a good game but one of the other guys has limped with pocket aces, flopped a set and never re-raised throughout the hand. he also picked up JJ, didn't raise preflop and when the board was 9 7 4 just checked and called all the way down. He bet the minimum every time and saw as many flops as possible.

With this finish my bankroll is around $800 (from the 20 I started with, thanks to 2+2, I would be broke without you guys) now so I am going to start passing on these $2 tournies I think...these guys play are so crazy it angers me. But, hey, I guess maybe I should stay with them...if the people make plays as bad as these.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:24 PM

The player who called UTG has an enourmous stack, and is certain to call your all-in raise. You're getting short on chips, but you'll get a chance to scoot them in under more favorable conditions (i.e. the big stack folds pre-flop &amp; you open the pot).