Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Stars $5.5r push against chip leader?

Was playing in the Stars $5.5r last night. We had just made it into the money, and I was sitting on a stack of ~35k. The chip leader at the table, sitting to my right, has about 120k.

With blinds at 3000/6000 + 150 ante, I'm looking at an M of ~3.

In the BB, I get dealt 44. It folds to the SB (chip leader), who min-raises to 12000. I figured he was on a steal attempt and pushed. Was this the correct move? Should I have just called instead because of the "suspicious" min-raise?

Well he flips over AA, and the rest is history. One of my friends who was watching said I should have folded and waited for a better position. What is the correct play? I figured that with my chip stack so low, if I wanted to make a push for the final table I needed to double up, even if it was a coin flip (which is what I put myself on).
Old 09-23-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Stars $5.5r push against chip leader?

[ QUOTE ]
Was playing in the Stars $5.5r last night. We had just made it into the money, and I was sitting on a stack of ~35k. The chip leader at the table, sitting to my right, has about 120k.

With blinds at 3000/6000 + 150 ante, I'm looking at an M of ~3.

In the BB, I get dealt 44. It folds to the SB (chip leader), who min-raises to 12000. I figured he was on a steal attempt and pushed. Was this the correct move? Should I have just called instead because of the "suspicious" min-raise?

Well he flips over AA, and the rest is history. One of my friends who was watching said I should have folded and waited for a better position. What is the correct play? I figured that with my chip stack so low, if I wanted to make a push for the final table I needed to double up, even if it was a coin flip (which is what I put myself on).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would most likely read the guy for a steal attempt if he did that before. I would have done what you did. So often if it's heads up between the blinds you do see that min-raise at that level. I think it's the bad timing award for you.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Stars $5.5r push against chip leader?

I think worrying about this is too results oriented. Unless I had a super read on the min-raiser, I am folding here 0% of the time. Push is the move.