Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 07:15 AM

Default Keeping outta trouble

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (3 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Button is 60/23 (over only 60 hands), not a great handreader, not too tricky, not too passive. Basically, I think I can count on him betting a QJ/Q9 on the turn for me here. SB is 45/28, a fairly typical LAG from this game. (Stats are skewed shorthanded, of course)
Old 09-20-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Keeping outta trouble

Wouldn´t spending your 2 BBs by betting the turn and call-folding if raised or betting again if just called do the same for you here, except not allowing a check-through ?

I can see this line beeing preferable if he calls the flop very light, like Ax with a backdoor or such and usually bets about anything when checked to, so you get more value. I think you took this line to avoid getting raised off your hand by something worse though and maybe getting out a little cheaper if SB CRs, but will he raise around the right ammount and will your fold be much clearer if you check-call and bet out ?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:47 AM

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

<font color="blue"> Easy.
</font>

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

<font color="blue"> Easy</font>

Turn: (4.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I think I can count on him betting a QJ/Q9 on the turn for me here.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> But you don't count on him calling if you bet? In other words, why is betting not the best play here?
</font>

River: (7.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero folds.

<font color="blue"> I like it very much. The way you played the turn, you probably have to call this river anyway (if you check and he bets and sb folds) so it's better to bet yourself because folding to a raise is easy here, and because you may get a call from an A or a worse K. </font>
Old 09-20-2005, 06:03 PM

cool hand daddy-o
Old 09-21-2005, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn´t spending your 2 BBs by betting the turn and call-folding if raised or betting again if just called do the same for you here, except not allowing a check-through ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I still have to get to showdown if raised on the turn, so I'll end up putting in 3 bets often (granted, 2 will go in with a fair equity bargain). Also, I don't really feel like I'm missing bets from anyone if it's checked through. Afterall, I'm splitzing with a K, and as I said, I feel QJ/Q9 will bet for me.

On the river, the paired Q suddenly makes my kicker live again, and again I need to make sure I don't miss a bet. Yes, I think folding to a raise here is ultra safe.