Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Value bet Vs \"Better hands wont call\"

Heard this so much "Value bet" and "check, better hands won't call".

Well... Wheres the diving line? The stakes we play?

Do we no long value bet when we move up to 1/2 as better hands wont call? Do we continue to value bet there?

Do we value bet at .25/.50? .50/1 ?

Basically im asking what counts as a "Value bet" and whats a "Check behind, better hands wont fold".

If we POSSIBLY have the best hand we value bet? How sure must we be if we are to value bet?

Do i value bet this, or will worse hands fold?

----------------------
15/8/2.3

Mp1 Loves Aces specially betting them when he doesn't hold one. His stats are: 31/1/.59

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, Button calls.

River: (10.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Hero value bets? Checks because better hands won't call?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Value bet Vs \"Better hands wont call\"

This is absolutely a value bet. There are 2 opponents and you'll definitely get called by any top pair hand. What's up with the turn check/raise?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 AM

I bet and I think its not even close. The question is imo if we want to 3-bet.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's up with the turn check/raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Had a read on this guy who loves to bet aces even if he holds nothing. I also think if he didnt bet the other guys would thinking im not scared of the ace and will fold(Possibly taking the pot themselves).

was risky, but i was happy with my reads and fairly confidant. If i had no reads i'd bet it (No free cards for MR Flush Draws).
Old 09-20-2005, 11:38 AM

We bet for value here. in a 10bb+ pot ppl will call u down w good As and w 2 pair.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:47 AM

Obviously i value bet, was called and then raised by button holding K2s(Flush won).

Now i really need to learn when to value bet and when to check behind.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:50 AM

There is no question that you need to bet here. If we held, say QQ on this board, then we need to decide whether or not to value bet. Or K9 or something to that effect. Usually at limits like 0.5/1, your decision is "Should I value bet my less than top pair hand?" because loose-passive players will tend to call down with bottom pair or 2nd bottom pair, etc.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously i value bet, was called and then raised by button holding K2s(Flush won).

Now i really need to learn when to value bet and when to check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

the dude sucked out. value bet this river EVERY TIME. you'll get 2 pair or an Ace a lot.

ps: if the guy likes playing aces just bet out on the turn and 3-bet him all day.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:02 PM

Wheres the dividing line for a value bet?

I dont know for certain, but I suspect that it depends upon things like the texture of the board, the number of opponents that are left in the hand, your position, how your opponents play and what your hand is. Anyway as far as a rule of thumb goes, I would say something like a reasonable pair, preferably top pair or an overpair.

I think that you risked the turn being checked through in this hand, as no one else had shown any previous agression. Also leading with a bet may have allowed you to 3-bet if anyone else raised.

I would bet the river. Someone may have completed the flush draw, but checking will lose you bets when you do have the best hand. I would expect you to get called by weaker pair hands such as Ax.

By the way, you check when you dont think that a worse hand will call, and that only a better hand will call. lol [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 12:03 PM

while you're trying to define these terms, i'll give you a couple more to look up:

1. results oriented thinking
2. fancy play syndrome

you have fallen victim to both.