Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 04:46 AM

Default do I really HAVE to bet?

I'm pretty new to the table. UTG appears to limp preflop a lot. That's all I've got for reads.

Prima Poker 20/40 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Re: do I really HAVE to bet?

Bets.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:52 AM

without reads itīs hard to say, but generally speaking, yes you need to bet this and fold to a raise.
But with some adequat reads this could change. depending on who you are up against those calls could mean business...
Old 09-20-2005, 04:52 AM

No, you don't have to bet. About the only thing you can gather from their flop calls is that they probably don't have a T or a pocket pair in my opinion. That leaves 7's which have you in deep trouble and hands that you are in front of. In a pot this size I don't think it is a tragedy to give a free card and I think betting and calling down to a turn raise and a river bet would make me pretty unhappy. I don't mind spending two bets to check-call both streets, and sometimes I will be let out of the trap when UTG bets and SB checkraises. What do you think?

Cartman
Old 09-20-2005, 05:01 AM

I'd say u bet out and u cant really fold to a raise because this is 20/40 which means u'll get tested much more. Now if u get raised and the guy behind u calls or c'r then you can safely fold.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:32 AM

Of course you don't have to bet.

Your reads are pretty shoddy, but I don't see how you can really go wrong checking here and seeing what happens. There isn't really much chance you have the best hand.

Looking back, there is a decent chance you have the best hand but it looks like you are beat 50% of the time or more.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say u bet out and u cant really fold to a raise because this is 20/40 which means u'll get tested much more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Constantly calling down when unsure of what to do is not really a great way to respond to being tested more.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say u bet out and u cant really fold to a raise

[/ QUOTE ]sure you can.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda want to bet, because, you know, tight AGGRESSIVE. All throughout the lower limits I knew to keep on betting, because people call with all sorts of garbage, and I need to charge them to chase, etc. Here in 20/40 6-max though, while they're certainly not all world class players, they're mostly decent, so getting called in 2 places on the flop obviously worries me. Sure UTG who limps all the time could be calling with overcards and the SB could have 89 or something, but I think the majority of the time, when I get called on this flop by 2 players in an unraised tiny pot, I'm dead.

I was originally thinking bet/fold: I doubt I get bluffed here very often, and I just might have the best hand. I'm having doubts now about how often I really have the best hand though... it can't be very often. And getting bluff raised still isn't out of the question. So I then thought maybe I should check, and if UTG bets and SB doesn't fold I'll get out. If SB folds I'll probably call down. But that leaves me putting in 2 bets in a small pot where I'm not feeling good about my chances of winning, where bet/fold would've let me get away from my hand after putting in only one BB. At least I probably won't get bluffed off the best hand that way, but it seems like I'm just choosing between the lesser of two evils. How many bets I lose depends on which player has me beat...

This pot is really small, I got called in 2 places on a not very drawy flop, I only have 2 outs to improve if I am behind and my hand isn't very strong. Would it really be that weak to check/fold this?

sorry for the rambling, but that's really all i've got. tough to get very far here without any real read.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:52 AM

U will get called here by A high, K high, small PP's.

Giving a free card sux, this turn is a must bet imo.

You certainly can bet/fold here.