Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 11:20 PM

Default 10/20 UTG raises...folded to you in the BB with 22

Villain just sat down so no reads.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (6.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

I lose a lot of money in these situations when I'm beat.

However, I can't convince myself to fold preflop with a pair and once the flop texture looks this good I just get on with the hand.

If he 3-bets the flop I call and check/fold the turn UI.

I probably call down if raised on the turn.

I chek/call the river a lot cause I start to get scared after they call my flop and turn bets. Agaisnt someone really weak I will often value-bet but with a K and a third club I check/call.

Do these standards seem reasonable?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: 10/20 UTG raises...folded to you in the BB with 22

I'm not a huge fan of this because if he's fairly tight and raising UTG you're a big dog to his range and if he's LAGy and raising UTG you're going to have a hard time continuing against his constant betting/raising with just a pair of 2s. I think you probably have implied odds even HU for a set but it's a tough road postflop if your opponent is aggrressive.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:22 AM

I think fold preflop is ok.

Also I think if you want to steal on this board you have to CR the turn, you will be 3-bet by overcards, middle pairs tooo often and then fold the turn UI when you have a better chance to take it on the turn.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:27 AM

Nah, I'm not really a big fan of this, without any sort of read, against an UTG raiser. Also, on the river I like bet/fold, check/fold, and check/call, in order of preference. But of course, with no reads, I don't really think which line you take makes much difference.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:36 AM

So are you advocating folding preflop? If you did fold preflop what is your cutoff? 55? 77?

Given that I chose not to fold...What kind of better flop could I look for?
Old 09-20-2005, 01:39 PM

bump...give me your minimum pocket pair you "defend" with.

I another thread rory just said hes not a fan of 22 and 33--implying he feel comfortable with 44?

What about the rest of you?
Old 09-20-2005, 01:49 PM

I meant 22 or 33 to any non-SB raise. Even on a button steal, I fold them unless the button has some serious weaknesses in his postflop play.

So assuming a pretty good playing player raising from the button, I dump those little pairs. A pretty good player raising from UTG, I dump up to 66. 77 I usually call, though. 66 I call maybe half the time and drop the rest.

If the guy is really passive or really aggressive postflop (so I can either be aggressive and fold if played back at easily or I can just check-call and let him bet my hand for me), then I will defend with the smaller pairs. I figure his postflop play is so bad that I have easy tactics at my disposal that I can use to minimize my positional disadvantage. If the guy plays good postflop and is capable of being tricky and what not, then those hands go in the muck.

I suck really bad at this game, though. Real bad.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I think if you want to steal on this board you have to CR the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

You checkraises 5th pair against UTGraise if he bets flop and turn? It looks a bit 2 aggressive, doesnt it?